Resetting bent forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Removing a particularly stubborn stem, my forks have been bent slightly out of line - very slightly but enough to make putting on the front wheel and lining up the brakes tricky.

Am I beong optimistic in assuming what got bent one way can just as easily be bent the other? How should I go about doing this?

It is a steel fork is it?
As long as they are not badly bent, more slightly twisted then put a stem and some bars back on. get strong mate and piece of 4 x 2. get mate to hold bars, insert wood across forks and apply pressure in the appropriate direction. Do it in small stages so as not to overbend. If you're worried about the paint job couple of rags come in handy.
Its not pretty and quite brutal but it works, if you want it perfect, find your local frame builder.

OP
OP
P

Percy

It is a steel fork is it?
As long as they are not badly bent, more slightly twisted then put a stem and some bars back on. get strong mate and piece of 4 x 2. get mate to hold bars, insert wood across forks and apply pressure in the appropriate direction. Do it in small stages so as not to overbend. If you're worried about the paint job couple of rags come in handy.
Its not pretty and quite brutal but it works, if you want it perfect, find your local frame builder.

Cheers rusty. Yeah,it is steel. That's relatively good news then. Just have to work out now which side it is that's the wonky one - you'd think it would be obvious but it isn't!

They're only very slightly out - maybe a cm - and twisted like you say. It was using wood as resistance that did it in the first place so I'll try the reverse technique...

Top Bottom