Resolved! Ethernet switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hi all,
I've moved to a new house, we've had virgin internet installed so we have wifi. There are 5 wired ethernet cables near the front door, 3 of which feed the 2 bedrooms and the cinema room in the garden.

I've bought a TP-link 7222 hoping to plug a wire from the router so that the wired signal can feed the other rooms. I've just tried the wired connection in our bedroom and the TPlink prompt is asking for a password.

What password is this, and where do I find it? I've tried putting in the wifi password but it's rejecting it.

Instruction manual and pdf user manual do not mention passwords. Where am I going wrong?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Is it the password for the TP Link? In which case it may well be on the label on the bottom.

markemark

Über Member
Are you sure you’re trying to connect through the Ethernet cable and not through wifi? Although some switches can have passwords added all the ones I’ve ever set up do not have a password for wired connections. The only passwords I see are to access the other devices on the network, not the switch.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes it is, but the sticker on the back only states model and serial number. At least it says "S/N" which I'm guessing isn't a password

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Are you sure you’re trying to connect through the Ethernet cable and not through wifi? Although some switches can have passwords added all the ones I’ve ever set up do not have a password for wired connections. The only passwords I see are to access the other devices on the network, not the switch.

Yeah I've gone on my Firestick and selected TPLink_7222 instead of our wifi network, but it's still asking for a password.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Bottom of ethernet switch

Attachments

• 20231223_100003.jpg
    20231223_100003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 19

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi all,
I've moved to a new house, we've had virgin internet installed so we have wifi. There are 5 wired ethernet cables near the front door, 3 of which feed the 2 bedrooms and the cinema room in the garden.

I've bought a TP-link 7222 hoping to plug a wire from the router so that the wired signal can feed the other rooms. I've just tried the wired connection in our bedroom and the TPlink prompt is asking for a password.

What password is this, and where do I find it? I've tried putting in the wifi password but it's rejecting it.

Instruction manual and pdf user manual do not mention passwords. Where am I going wrong?

According to TP-Link, the default IP address for all TP-Link ADSL routers is 192.168.1.1. And default username & password are both <admin>.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
According to TP-Link, the default IP address for all TP-Link ADSL routers is 192.168.1.1. And default username & password are both <admin>.

Thanks, but still saying "wifi password invalid". Even though I'm connecting to wired connection. I'll try deleting the wifi first so it's not picking it up

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks, but still saying "wifi password invalid". Even though I'm connecting to wired connection. I'll try deleting the wifi first so it's not picking it up

Disconnected from WiFi, tried to connect to TPlink, tried wifi password that's on the router, and tried <admin> as a password, still saying wifi error

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The 5 port switch should just be a switch and not a router, do you have any other pieces of TP link kit on the network? For example, I have a Virgin Media router, which is connected by cable to a TPlink Wireless Router, I also have a TPlink wireless access point in the garage which does a better job at accessing the router than my laptop does when using Zwift, both TPlink devices are configurable from anywhere in the home network, but only if you know which IP address to use, the login page shouldn't appear at all without going to the address of the configurable device.

markemark

Über Member
Ok, you don’t connect to a switch. It is passive and just connects other devices together. If your computer is plugged into the switch and so is the router your pc settings should be the same to go online as if you plugged your pc directly into the router/modem.

Top Bottom