Respect for cyclists by motorists in Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djhep

Über Member
Good day all....
I realise not many of us are lucky enough to be enjoying some sunshine in Spain at the moment, but once the covid pandemic is under control , Spain could soon be safer place to spend your cycling holidays.

I'm fortunate to have a wee place down in the South of Spain so normally spend quite alot of the year down there cycling, and already find the Spanish roads safer, and motorists more respectful of cyclists than here in Uk.
With new laws due to be introduced soon (see below), things should improve even more!.

Obligatory minimum 2m passing distance.
Reduction of speed while overtaking cyclists by 20kmh below speed limit on road travelled

Could we see similar laws put in place here in UK?.......🙏

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...ore-space-and-consideration-on-spanish-roads/

Drago

Legendary Member
For all that the death rate for cyclists is still roughly comparable to the UK.

Hopefully these new regs may ease that, but then people who already drive carelessly around cyclists are unlikely to suddenly become scrupulously dilligent because of a new law or two.

Fingers crossed, but im not terribly hopeful. Sadly, I think it will be a long time before such rules are made mandatory here. More likely a reduction in car numbers as electrification slowly takes hold and there aren't suffiecient raw materials to replace dino cars 1:1 with battery cars will reduce casualty rates long before any government moves seriously to protect us.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hi @djhep

My experiences of cycling in Spain have left me with the opinion that drivers there are generally far more courteous towards cyclists already

Even on steep hills, there was no hassling to get past, big lorries would always give a wide berth.

Lots of thumbs up from other random road users.

I'll definitely be back to cycle in Spain, if we're ever allowed out to play again.

I don't hold out so much hope for getting the same cycle friendly ideas through in the UK, though.
There seems to be a fairly resolute anti-cyclist attitude.

Mainly whipped up by our horrible right wing press. And oafs like Jeremy Clarkson.

How do we overcome that?
I dunno.

Chislenko

Veteran
Good day all....

I'm fortunate to have a wee place down in the South of Spain so normally spend quite alot of the year down there cycling, and already find the Spanish roads safer,

Likewise in another hot EU country, the 90 in 180 rule is going to be a serious knock to our routine. No more packing up the car and staying as long as you liked.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spanish drivers imvho are probably the best in Europe when it comes to being cycle and cyclist aware,
more so than the French and Belgians.

It already is law here, assuming that everything in the Highway Code is law / penalty by the police if not followed... Drivers must leave as much space when passing a cyclist / horse / person as they would another car... ~ 2m / width of the road.

I know they don't in practice, but whether or not that law in Spain will actually make a difference, or will be any easier to prove when someone ignores it to claim or charge them doesn't seem likely to me

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In Amsterdam motorists are actually bullied by the cyclists! :tongue:
From my experience , cyclists bully the pedestrians too. Its not a great thing.

Top Bottom