Respraying dilemma!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys!

Some of you may remember when I bought my bike it had some big scratches on the front and rear fork from the previous owner.

I got the paint matched as best I could, however, have not done anything since. Ultimately with the bike being white this does mean all the scuffs etc are VERY obvious

I want to know how easy it is to do this myself. I gather that I would need to remove the wheels and mask up the surrounding areas then sand down, smooth, primer and respray? I would much prefer paying some one to do it for me however, that seems to be impossible around here :-(

Any advice or contacts would be great! Thanks x

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Try contacting a company that does powder coating . They may be able to help . Failing that a local joinery shop that has a spray booth .

screenman

Legendary Member
Pictures would help, I used to teach car painting so I know a little about the job. Have you used a little compound to see what will polish out first?

stewlewis

I tried to do some spraying, take a look here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=272619

It's a full spray and not just scratches, you may get some tips.

As previously mentioned a powdercoat is a good and robust option, the frame would have to be stripped of all parts and the company would blast the paint off with a harsh powder compound, and then spray with a powdered paint compound that is then baked to melt the powder into the 'paint' finish. A good hard wearing finish.

Phixion

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, scratches etc just shows your bike is well used... once it gets really bad you have an excuse to get it professionally powder coated in a colour of your choice - makes the bike more unique!

Top Bottom