Restoring a 1948 Clubman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This one:

IMG_0319.jpg

I've been using it non-stop for about a year, but being outside has not been kind to her. I'm building a bike for transport, and sorting this one. At 62, she deserves refinishing to her former glory.

Who should I get to do the respray? And should I stick with the original green, or could I have something else without it looking silly? I'll be going with original transfers, as you can buy them from H Lloyd.

tyred

Legendary Member
Any colour you like so long as it's another fairly dark colour would look okay IMO. A bike this age shouldn't be painted in luminous pink.

That SA headlamp is a 1970s item (but vastly superior optics to what would've been original). The chrome looks to be in nice condition.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
I've been hoarding bits for it. This photo was taken about a year ago, when I first acquired her; she's been heavily used in the past year while all my modern kit has been ignored.

Believe it or not, it was a bright pearlescent green originally. You can just make out flecks of the original colour on frame around the head tube. If I do go for a non-original finish, it will be a nice colour that befits an old bike, perhaps a brown or burgundy.

I can think of nothing worse than taking a bike like this and making it "cool" by painting it up to look like a toy.

porteous

Veteran
You can probably get to look at the original colour when you remove the head badge. These were always a nice bike and restore well. Worth getting the respray done properly, perhaps by Argos, who do a good job. I restored my Rudge Aero Clubman last year, and prefer riding it to any other bike I have.

Top Bottom