Restoring a 1987 Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecm

I have a 1987 Dawes Galaxy which I am considering restoring but I lack the knowledge or skills to do it myself. Are there any bike restorers within reasonable distance of Reading, Berkshire who could undertake such a project ? I've searched the web for local cycle shops and whilst they all carry out repairs, I'm not sure that they are geared up for a full scale restoration.

Also, can an old bike like this be fitted with new technology components (e.g. rapid-fire gears) or are you restricted to replacing the existing components on a like-for like basis ?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Sounds sweet. What colour ? (Please say gold!)

S-Express

I have a 1987 Dawes Galaxy which I am considering restoring but I lack the knowledge or skills to do it myself. Are there any bike restorers within reasonable distance of Reading, Berkshire who could undertake such a project ? I've searched the web for local cycle shops and whilst they all carry out repairs, I'm not sure that they are geared up for a full scale restoration.

Also, can an old bike like this be fitted with new technology components (e.g. rapid-fire gears) or are you restricted to replacing the existing components on a like-for like basis ?

Seriously, do it yourself, it's not difficult. By all means get a bike shop to disassemble the bike if needs be, but if you are looking for a decent resto on the frame, I would send it off to somewhere like ArgosCycles in Bristol. As ever, cost is the main criteria and it depends how much you can afford to spend.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you are wanting a full restoration with new parts, the labour & parts bill will probably be quite hefty & maybe cheaper to look for a newer touring bike :okay: However get yourself a bike manual, scour the net for cheap parts, watch you tube & you'll learn shed loads. When I got back into cycling I was worried about doing my own repairs incase I broke anything, but bikes are quite simple & easy to repair/rebuild. & if you do the work, if anything fails you'll know how to fix it

Grand Primo

There aren't many places that will strip a frame, prepare and paint it, then build it back up again. Most paint shops (Argos, Mercian, Bob Jackson) prefer to receive the bare frame. I guess you will spend at least £300 so be sure it's worth it to you vs the cost of buying another one in better condition. If you started with a "handmade lightweight classic" eg Hetchins, Flying Scot etc, and you wanted to get that restored, then arguably that would make more sense.

Short answer: yes new (or newer) tech components can be fitted if it makes it more rideable for you.
Without stretching the rear axle you should easily fit 7 gears to a late 80s bike (8 is possible but a squeeze and might need new wheels); indexing rear derailleurs are common enough, even period -ish correct ones (look for something like a long cage deore if you want tall touring gears).
I've found brake shifters - I think "rapid fire" are flat bar shifters btw - from the 90's to be a bit delicate, and have used Microshift 2x7 on a couple of modernisations, including one I've used all this winter.

robsa

Über Member
Did the bike cost much? Has it sentimental value? If no, then why not give it a go yourself. It's really not that hard. Remember on here is loads of help and advice. Also Google is your friend when your stuck.
Need tools? Go to your local car boot and but buy all you need for literally pennies. Car boot is also a great source for cheap bits for your bike.

OP
OP
E

ecm

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll certainly do some more research into doing it myself.

If memory serves, the bike cost me around £300 in 1987. I did a lot of touring in it from the late 80s to mid 90s but it's been sitting in my garden shed for the last 6 or 7 years gathering dust. Considering the cost of a new Galaxy (£1800 for the Classic with 531 tubing !!), I was thinking that if the complete restoration cost ~£500, it would be worth doing though perhaps this is an underestimate ? Is the £300 suggested by Grand Primo for a paint job only ?

Top Bottom