Restoring an old Tricycle and I can't get the wheels off! Any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biff

Hulloo!!

Posting here looking for some help from suitably minded folks.

My plans to fix my old c.1910 tradesman's tricycle have hit a brick wall and I'm hoping there may be some brains/experience that can help!

The drum brakes are worn and apply/release inconsistently which throws 'The Beast' into an impossible-to-control series of ever-increasing slews. As a result I've sadly not ridden it for several years... but yesterday I cleared the garage out so as this morning I could start taking it apart to get the drums repaired. Several hours later the mudguards are off and the brake rods are disconnected, (... Yep, it took that long to undo all the paint-covered nuts, bolts and screws!!).

I then removed the bolt, with a flattened shaft, that I thought simply secured the rear of the hub/axle assembly into the frame. However, the axle/hub assembly won't budge. I've hit it from the rear with a punch and hammer, repeatedly, as hard as I dare, but it won't move. It may be that I'm mistaken in how I'm interpreting the parts? It may be that something else is securing it in place? (For example I might also have to undo the big nut on the axle on the outer end of the axle).

The following photos hopefully help illustrate the set-up. I can't see any other nuts or screws other than the two nuts that are shown in the photos. These are the nut that connects the brake rod assembly, (it won't turn, and when I put it under pressure it snapped the return spring inside the drum brake so now the brake won't release!)... and then there's the 'hub nut' on the wheel's outer (this nut rotates with the wheel, whereas the inner end of the 'axle', the part I've been hitting with a hammer to release it from the frame, doesn't rotate when the wheel rotates).

I appreciate the set up of this lovely old tricycle isn't 'normal'... but I'm hoping someone might be mechanically minded, or have seen this arrangement before, and be able to give me some pointers as to what to do next to get the wheels safely off so as I can get to the drum brakes.

Fingers crossed... and thanks for reading!

classic33

Leg End Member
Remove the outer nut on the axle, you should then be able to slide the wheel off.

Bear in mind you've said you've jammed the brake in place, which is going to make it harder. The fact that parts don't want to move may simply be down to the time it's been stood still. You can rectify this when you have the wheels off.

Any markings on the hubs.

OP
OP
Biff

Biff

Remove the outer nut on the axle, you should then be able to slide the wheel off.

Bear in mind you've said you've jammed the brake in place, which is going to make it harder. The fact that parts don't want to move may simply be down to the time it's been stood still. You can rectify this when you have the wheels off.

Any markings on the hubs.
Thanks! I was wary of undoing what looked to me to be a cosmetic 'nut shaped thingy', but it was indeed a proper 'nut' and just covered in paint. I've now had the wheels off and found that the 'rim' that the shoes pressed against had been 'dented' out of true, (presumably hence the disconcertingly irregular braking!). I've put everything back together but gave up trying to source the correct springs, (one had snapped during my clumsy attempts to dismantle things). It's now 75% less dangerous than it was... but at least I know now how to tinker freely so I will keep at it until it's perfect!! Thanks again. Biff.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks! I was wary of undoing what looked to me to be a cosmetic 'nut shaped thingy', but it was indeed a proper 'nut' and just covered in paint. I've now had the wheels off and found that the 'rim' that the shoes pressed against had been 'dented' out of true, (presumably hence the disconcertingly irregular braking!). I've put everything back together but gave up trying to source the correct springs, (one had snapped during my clumsy attempts to dismantle things). It's now 75% less dangerous than it was... but at least I know now how to tinker freely so I will keep at it until it's perfect!! Thanks again. Biff.
Internal spring, Hobbies or Hobby's catalogue. External, car windscreen wiper.

Remove the brake rotor, and clean both it and where it rotates. Finishing with light grease on both parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom