Rests between rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I'm not sure if I have a problem here or if it's just getting older that causes this to happen. I am able to cycle 10 to 15 miles one day without any problems, but if I try to do this the following day, then I'm just lathergic and don't have it in me to do it at all. After a couple of days rest I'm raring to go again without any problems. Could this just be down to my age? I'm 53 yrs old now and it's been like this for a while now.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Have you just recently returned to cycling? Because if that's the case then that's pretty normal. Gotta ease yourself back into the saddle and build muscle strength

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Have you just recently returned to cycling? Because if that's the case then that's pretty normal. Gotta ease yourself back into the saddle and build muscle strength
Not really, I've being trying to gain some stamina over a course of 7 months and possibly even longer. Should I just contine like this or force myself to go each day?

vickster

Legendary Member
Slow down and ride further?
Is your 15 miles very hilly?

Presume you don’t have any health conditions that can cause fatigue? Not anaemic?

what bike do you have? Is it properly set up?

What else do you have going on in your life? A stressful or physical job? A busy home life with kids, caring for elderly parents? How do you sleep? How do you eat?
Are you generally fit? Are you overweight?

lots of things can cause fatigue, lethargy, lack of fitness...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBosh

Slow down and ride further?

Presume you don’t have any health conditions that can cause fatigue? Not anaemic?
I have tried slowing down and not pushing myself too much, but I still have nowhere near the energy I have if I rest for a couple of days between rides. I'm just not sure why it takes so long for me to recover. I have had blood work done for feel fatigued, but all of them came back good. I was lacking in vitim D some months ago now.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have tried slowing down and not pushing myself too much but I still have nowhere near the energy I have if I rest for a couple of days between rides. I'm just not sure why it takes so long for to recover. I have had blood work done for feel fatigued, but all of them came back good. I was lacking in vitim D some months ago now.
Have you had repeat bloods to check your iron and vit d (are you taking it daily and getting sunshine?)

do you stretch after activity? What other exercise or activity do you take?
What’s your diet like?

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Have you had repeat bloods to check your iron and vit d (are you taking it daily and getting sunshine?)

do you stretch after activity? What other exercise or activity do you take?
What’s your diet like?
I do weight lifting 3 days a week and I mix my diet up. I suppose I do get stressed with life in general, but don't we all in this day and age. Exercise usually helps with that, but it's just a shame I get this fatigue because it prevents me doing more.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I understand how you feel. I'm 57, have been off the bike for a couple of years. I'm out of shape. Currently at 210 lbs when I should be at 180ish. I started to ride again in January, but very sporadically. Maybe once a month, which is sort of like not riding at all. But then in May I found some motivation and began riding two to three times a week. At first I could only ride about 10 miles and I'd be totally exhausted and spent. Then I was able to do two of the 10 mile loops for 20 miles at a time. I've been able to do 30 mile rides twice. But those rides came after a few days off the bike. I definitely feel that my lack of fitness is what is holding me back. I don't often ride two days in a row. But if I do, one of those days is an easy 10 mile ride. I find that I need the rest days in between. Otherwise I don't end up enjoying the rides as much. Our age obviously also has something to do with it. I used to be able to recover quicker, even just 5 years ago. I've accepted the fact that I just need to remain consistent, and keep at it. I record my rides on Strava so I can track my progress in terms of speed which tells me if I'm getting stronger. I also need to increase my core workouts. I started doing some pushups, bicycle crunches and planks. I began to feel stronger but then when I took my two week break I haven't restarted the core workouts. So it's been about 3 weeks. I rode today 20 miles and plan to ride an easy 10 tomorrow. Maybe I'll put the air on in the basement and do a core workout as well. That should jumpstart me. Just keep at it. Sometimes you have to have some pretty stern talks with yourself to get you motivated.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do weight lifting 3 days a week and I mix my diet up. I suppose I do get stressed with life in general, but don't we all in this day and age. Exercise usually helps with that, but it's just a shame I get this fatigue because it prevents me doing more.
Maybe you’re overdoing it? Doesn’t sound like you have any proper rest days.
Have you had your hormone levels checked too (guessing you’re male so your testosterone)? And thyroid?
I’d go back to dr if sorting the vit d hasn’t helped

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not sure if I have a problem here or if it's just getting older that causes this to happen. I am able to cycle 10 to 15 miles one day without any problems, but if I try to do this the following day, then I'm just lathergic and don't have it in me to do it at all. After a couple of days rest I'm raring to go again without any problems. Could this just be down to my age? I'm 53 yrs old now and it's been like this for a while now.
53 is not old! I am in my mid-60s, not superfit, and wouldn't have a problem riding 10-15 miles a day, every day. If you are not riding up very steep hills and not riding very quickly then I think something other than the cycling work load could be to blame for the lethargy. @vickster has listed a lot of the ones that I would have.

No point in just forcing yourself to do more... If you feel tired, then rest. I could ride every day, but I don't want to. Generally, 4 or 5 rides a week is enough for me. You do need to allow some time for your body to recover from its exertions, even if they are relatively gentle ones.

If you continue to feel too tired too often despite plenty of rest, then keep looking for the answer.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

53 is not old! I am in my mid-60s, not superfit, and wouldn't have a problem riding 10-15 miles a day, every day. If you are not riding up very steep hills and not riding very quickly then I think something other than the cycling work load could be to blame for the lethargy. @vickster has listed a lot of the ones that I would have.

No point in just forcing yourself to do more... If you feel tired, then rest. I could ride every day, but I don't want to. Generally, 4 or 5 rides a week is enough for me. You do need to allow some time for your body to recover from its exertions, even if they are relatively gentle ones.

If you continue to feel too tired too often despite plenty of rest, then keep looking for the answer.
I wish I could find the answer to it. My Doctor has decided to put it down to me getting older after doing blood work, so I feel a bit silly to carry on bothering her about it. This next week I'm going to try and do five days at 10 miles even if I feel crap doing it.
The weights I do are 3 days a week, but it's only 13 sets a day of different exercise and about 10- 15 reps each set. I don't have much problem doing these weights to failure, it's more of a stamina problem with me as far as I can tell.

I wish I could find the answer to it. My Doctor has decided to put it down to me getting older after doing blood work, so I feel a bit silly to carry on bothering her about it. This next week I'm going to try and do five days at 10 miles even if I feel crap doing it.
The weights I do are 3 days a week, but it's only 13 sets a day of different exercise and about 10- 15 reps each set. I don't have much problem doing these weights to failure, it's more of a stamina problem with me as far as I can tell.
I don't think it is your age. I'm 65 and cycle 100 miles+ every week with no problems but I do take rest days. Why not try stopping the weights work for 2 or 3 weeks and maintaining the cycling to see how you feel?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I have absolutely no medical background but in your position I would find this difficult to accept from my GP. In my view 53 is no age.

I'm 66 and ride 150-200 miles a week with no real fatigue. Yes I have days when I am tired afterwards but this is natural. Prior to Covid-19 my routine was to ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday between 60-80 miles per ride over a wide range of terrains. During lockdown I rode 5 days a week at 30-35 miles a ride. So both regimes include rest. I'm happy to knock out 100+ and then do a 30-40 mile recovery the next day. These distances are far from unusual amongst our club members. All the retired guys, 60+, are riding 5-10000 miles a year.

You say you've been working on this for seven months? In my view something is wrong. It may be diet, life style, lack of rest, health any number of things but I wouldn't let my doctor fob me off with "age" at 53!!! :eek:

D

Deleted member 1258

I think I'd be changing doctors if my doctor said to me its your age, I'm 68 and ride a couple of 50-60 milers a week.

Top Bottom