Result at the tip this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Thats a cracking find, well done, should look lovely after a clean up.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Small angle grinder or a Dremel should get that sleeve nut out in 2-3 pieces. TBH I've never seen one 'pulled through' like that before though.
Yes. I am a bit worried about the hole on one side being too big even if I did get the old bolt out and a new one in there. I'm guessing I might need to use a bolt with a larger head on it or put a bit of plate or something in the way to stop it pulling through again. I'm wondering if the seatpost got stuck in there and someone did that damage trying to free it, or tried to hammer a seat post that was too big into it. Either way I'm looking forward to the challenge of fixing it. Any ideas what the original seatpost would have been?

classic33

Leg End Member
You could always try the shop.
Call us on - (01733) 231755
E-Mail us at - velo@bristowscycles.co.uk

We are a small, friendly independent bike shop, in Orton Waterville in Peterborough that has been serving the cyclists of Peterborough since 1973.

http://www.bristowscycles.co.uk/

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes. I am a bit worried about the hole on one side being too big even if I did get the old bolt out and a new one in there. I'm guessing I might need to use a bolt with a larger head on it or put a bit of plate or something in the way to stop it pulling through again. I'm wondering if the seatpost got stuck in there and someone did that damage trying to free it, or tried to hammer a seat post that was too big into it. Either way I'm looking forward to the challenge of fixing it. Any ideas what the original seatpost would have been?
My best guess would be someone tried 'undoing' the clamp by turning an allen key in the 'wrong' side and the locating tang rotated and enlarged the hole. Possibly trying to get the saddle off cos it was a Brooks and they'd heard they fetch a lot on e-bay, dunno though.
As for replacing it, I'd just use a nut and bolt.

Yes. I'm hoping the rust on the chrome clips will come off ok.
The rust should clean up well with rust removing gel.
You may be able to remove the seat clamp bolt using an Allen key or socket and then straighten the part of the frame by using a punch. Place the frame on the ground with a block of wood supporting the damaged area and by placing the punch through from the other side gently tap the frame back to shape. You should be able to gradually work round the distorted area which will relieve the pressure on the next section which should allow you to get it back in to shape.

Top Bottom