Result at the tip this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Am now attempting to remove the crank set. My 15mm socket is too thick to fit in and get the crank bolt undone. I could do with a thin walled socket, but has anyone else had any success with specific crank bolt wrenches? If so where from? Also with the TA crank, am I going to find I need a non-standard crank puller too? There's a pick of my crank above somewhere.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Am now attempting to remove the crank set. My 15mm socket is too thick to fit in and get the crank bolt undone. I could do with a thin walled socket, but has anyone else had any success with specific crank bolt wrenches? If so where from? Also with the TA crank, am I going to find I need a non-standard crank puller too? There's a pick of my crank above somewhere.

Yes a thinwall socket or a peanut butter campagnolo spanner normally works and yes you will need a ta crank puller and i think there are 2 options if i remember rightly

Tim Hall

Ah. TA cranks might be a non standard size. My next door neighbour from three moves ago had one, but that doesn't help. Regarding getting the bolt undone, a standard el cheapo crank remover that doubles as a bolt remover should do the trick.

Here's one I found on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=479RMDWQRXWBEDEWAD47

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
never tried one of those but it could work , i have the Planet x equivalent but never tried it on a ta crank bolt i think i have one of the extractors if you wanted to pop up ?

Thanks for the offer. If I can get the crank bolt off and measure the threads then I might well come and borrow that from you.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Update: got the crank bolts off using a 15mm box spanner. Had to buy a set of them for a tenner to get the correct size, but I'm sure they'll come in useful for something. If only to fit the crank bolts back on.

Then I took the whole thing down to Corley cycles in MK where their kindly mechanic pulled the cranks for me. There was a funny moment when we were comparing our pulling tools over the counter. My pushing pin was smaller than his. Fnarr.

He did it completely FOC. So I'll probably be back there again soon for something else.

Here's a pic of the TA crank after a go over with bar keepers friend.
1533674241942-1508185977.jpg
1533674241942-1508185977.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 430872

What do I need to get this left hand side BB cup out? One of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HBS3DEAPFH4YH5KBVQGN

I've had a bit of a go with needle nose pliers but they're not going to work.

Anyone seen cheaper ones than park?
I doubt that will touch a fixed cup, I use a hammer and drift or a big nut/bolt through the middle (as you tighten the bolt up it undoes the left hand thread.

The other option is to leave it in and just fit a couple of new caged bearings if the shaft/cup are OK and you're sticking to a square taper crank.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I doubt that will touch a fixed cup, I use a hammer and drift or a big nut/bolt through the middle (as you tighten the bolt up it undoes the left hand thread.

The other option is to leave it in and just fit a couple of new caged bearings if the shaft/cup are OK and you're sticking to a square taper crank.

This is the non- drive side so my thinking was to get this side out, clean or replace the bearings/crank and leave the other side in.

Top Bottom