Result from a complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I dunno sharky. finglands were very contrite when I wrote to them about a near miss.

Their drivers still drive impatiently & one of them knocked me off later that year.

If it's a choice between a company taking action to prevent such things, and one that apologises but does nowt, I'll take the former.

Knocked off despite having previously alerting them to the poor standards of their driving and them having done nothing about it? Sounds like good foundations for legal action, or at least a complaint to whoever regulates such business.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
About a year ago I had cause to write to the local bus company to praise the driving of a bus that overtook me. I became aware that it was behind me (hearing it clearly despite my earphones) and the driver stayed a safe distance behind until he could pass me with a clear 4+ feet. This is in a road (Gosport A32) that has a 2 feet wide 'cycle lane' for much of it's 40 mph stretch, so that many drivers of HGVs and buses will believe that as long as they are on their side of the white dashes it is OK to steam past at 40, pushing a big lump of air sideways at me.

The response from the bus company was very positive (and probably surprised!) and they passed my thanks to the driver concerned.

Let's see some more videos of thoughtful drivers. There must be some more out there.

Let's see some more videos of thoughtful drivers. There must be some more out there.

Not got a video of it but Purple Van Man this afternoon was a breath of fresh air (so as to speak). On a dual carriage way I need to get to the right lane before traffic lights so did the usual glance over my shoulder. There was a van there so I thought I'd drop in behind it and postponed my move. A couple of seconds later I looked again, he was still holding back I signalled but expected them to go through and took my time before eventually going into the right turn lane. He patiently idled behind me all the way to the Red. Round the corner there's a straight and folk usually desperately try to overtake or overtake on the S'bend (tbh I'm faster than a car through there but folk still try it) but again he patiently waited untill I was on a long wide straight. I dare say if it was a video it'd be pretty too boring but there are nice folk out there.

davefb

Guru
Knocked off despite having previously alerting them to the poor standards of their driving and them having done nothing about it? Sounds like good foundations for legal action, or at least a complaint to whoever regulates such business.

indeed,

thats why you should always complain about those shoddy potholes and cracked kerbs..(no i dont either ;) )

if 'they' arent aware of something (be it terrible roads or driving standards not up to scratch) then what are they expected to do about it ?

If you have a GPS unit like Garmin - there is a "Mark" option that will mark locations. Others generally have this too.

Do this for potholes - yes it takes 3 or 4 button presses but if you learn them by heart then you can do it without looking away from the road.

Obviously would be tedious to do it every day etc - so every other week sit down, import them onto your pc (however you do it on your device) then go to fillthathole etc and batch report them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

No good. GMP managed to leave taking any action until the cctv from the bus was "lost" and the driver claimed I'd moved out in front of him (in fact, he'd tried to beat me around a parked DHL van and underestimated my speed, sideswiping me).

Our regulator (GMPTE) would be less interested than the police. Had I had the foresight to get witnesses, I'd maybe have pursued it - otherwise it's chalked down to experience and noted to avoid Finglands (and Magic Bus, for that matter, for different reasons).

Top Bottom