Result - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A pal of mine at work bought a bike from a 'well known high street' cycle dealer last Friday. On his way to work on Monday; first time he'd had the bike out, whilst changing gear, there was a 'crunching sound' and the rear wheel came off - ! :eek: Fortunately for him, he wan't hurt and there wasn't any traffic in the immediate vicinity. He took said bike back yeterday to complain and he recieved - £250, a new bike that was £150 dearer, £100 worth of three years bike care and a promise of an investigation as to why the wheel came off in the first place. :thumbsup: He thinks there may be a vacancy for a bike 'mechanic' at that branch very soon - ! :rofl:

T4tomo

Guru
Excellent news.

Loose quick release lever? that happened to me pulling away from a junction, no-one but myself to blame though:laugh:

Domus

Guru
GCN once asked several pro riders what they did just before a TdF Stage, most of them said check the quick release.
Even pro mechanics make mistakes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pulling sideways and jamming has happened to me with horizontal dropouts and wheel nuts that I've not done up properly. But that's not the same as the wheel actually falling off. I'm imagining it bouncing down the road with the guy chasing after it. But that's just my '
imagination ... runnin' away with me.
:laugh:

I could imagine it happening to a front wheel (if the fork did not have the protective 'lawyer lips') but not a rear wheel!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Picture of his mates bike

bike.jpg

But that's not the same as the wheel actually falling off. I'm imagining it bouncing down the road with the guy chasing after it. But that's just my '
imagination ... runnin' away with me.
7th grade, bike commuting to school, books tucked in my shirt, passing some friends, I popped a wheelie on my Stingray to show off, while the fork was in the air, the front wheel flew off, crossed the main road I was on & traveled some distance away. I don't have a firm memory of coming down on the fork. I think I was small enough & quick enough to have avoided personal injury, & even bike injury. I remember going after the wheel. after that, it's a blank

Drago

Legendary Member
A pal of mine at work bought a bike from a 'well known high street' cycle dealer last Friday. On his way to work on Monday; first time he'd had the bike out, whilst changing gear, there was a 'crunching sound' and the rear wheel came off - ! :eek: Fortunately for him, he wan't hurt and there wasn't any traffic in the immediate vicinity. He took said bike back yeterday to complain and he recieved - £250, a new bike that was £150 dearer, £100 worth of three years bike care and a promise of an investigation as to why the wheel came off in the first place. :thumbsup: He thinks there may be a vacancy for a bike 'mechanic' at that branch very soon - ! :rofl:
Three years of bike care from a firm that makes wheels fall off is hardly the most enticing compo.

I presume chummy will now do more thorough pre ride checks?

Cycling_Samurai

The only bad stuff that has happened with my bikes is whatever I messed up. I do as little to the bike as I can. I just take it to the shop if something is needed.

Top Bottom