Results Day - A Levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand you are very proud of your daughter & boyfriend as I would have been were they mine, but are they really the courses what we need our future generations to be taking. Sorry just a moaning old git thinking the future of this country is doomed without engineers & mechanically trained people

They are going into a disciple that is highly sought after and they will be coming out of SODA and that's a premium. Most countries produce engineers in numbers and UK is no different. There are no shortage of them. Many engineers after graduation and after their initial jobs morph into other fields such as software development, financial analyst etc as they have excellent numerate skills that can be applied elsewhere which maybe more attractive in more ways than one.

Mr Darch, my English teacher at Minehead Middle School (circa 1978) had a large, hand-made poster on the wall, reading 'Never use an apostrophe to make a plural!' That's stuck with me ever since.

Congratulations to all the students and their parents (who generally seem to show the worry more) who got what they needed or better, today. To those of those that didn't, don't panic. Give 'em a hug and tell them you're proud of them, then on to clearing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I understand you are very proud of your daughter & boyfriend as I would have been were they mine, but are they really the courses what we need our future generations to be taking. Sorry just a moaning old git thinking the future of this country is doomed without engineers & mechanically trained people

Scotland is one of the top developers of computer games in the world and gave you Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemtion, Angry Birds etc. If the names mean nothing to you then hopefully numbers will: the gaming & creative industries in Scotland alone support 90,000 jobs and are worth £4.6 Billion to the Scottish economy each year.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I probably have ADHD or some variant, along with Dyslexia but they weren't a thing in the 70's as I went through comprehensive, I have difficulty taking things in from the written word & learn far better by demonstration. So it all probably stems from jealousy that I've had to work very hard to provide for my family over the years & see people with no brains & degrees do financially better.

But congratulations to all the parents who have got their children this far, it can't be easy in todays world

Indeed I learn by demonstration not paper work,mini CK is autistic so maybe im a bit like you 😱 brother CK has a PhD in theoretical chemistry

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Son got 4 x A* - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. He's off to Lancaster to study Particle Physics and Cosmology (pretty much "Life , the universe, and everything"). Think we brought the wrong baby home from hospital 18 years ago....

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I posted this on the Mundane News thread earlier but ...

Son no. 2 got an A, A, B, C and will be off to the University of Nottingham to study History and Politics, with an additional academic scholarship.

They've a decent cycling set-up and are near the Derby velodrome, both of which influenced his decision. He's waiting to find out if a sports scholarship is also coming his way.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spotted something here. Both I and DCLane have said 'study' - we both work in Uni's. No-one calls it 'read' these days. Only 'old fogies' call it read :giggle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Spotted something here. Both I and DCLane have said 'study' - we both work in Uni's. No-one calls it 'read' these days. Only 'old fogies' call it read :giggle:

I  try to explain to my students that they're reading for a degree. There's quite a lot of strange looks as a result.

And anyway, I use role play/video/presentation/discussion/practical activity and much more in my teaching/facilitation rather than simply written materials.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Scotland is one of the top developers of computer games in the world and gave you Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemtion, Angry Birds etc. If the names mean nothing to you then hopefully numbers will: the gaming & creative industries in Scotland alone support 90,000 jobs and are worth £4.6 Billion to the Scottish economy each year.

My eldest grandson is currently aiming in that direction but still has another year at school before final decision.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

My eldest son was originally going in for that line of work, but went into IT instead and (at this moment) is sitting opposite me, in the office (silly sod) :laugh:

Besides (unlike Scotland) there's no call for game developement here in Wales, probably because the Z button doesn't exist :whistle:

Top Bottom