Results Day - A Levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hope your relatives (or indeed you) got the results they needed.

Daughter has 3x Distinction* for her BTEC Art and a B in Biology. Just as important, boyfriend got 2x Distinction* and a Distinction for his BTEC.

Does mean both accepted for their Uni Courses, daughter Animation, boyfriend Computer Game Design.

PHEW ! Big relief. Both going to SODA at Manchester Met (new swanky School of Digital Art).

Or as the Daily Telegraph illustrate, National Jumping Blonds Day.

D

Deleted member 26715

Does mean both accepted for their Uni Courses, daughter Animation, boyfriend Computer Game Design.

I understand you are very proud of your daughter & boyfriend as I would have been were they mine, but are they really the courses what we need our future generations to be taking. Sorry just a moaning old git thinking the future of this country is doomed without engineers & mechanically trained people

vickster

Legendary Member
Son of a friend of mine got his AAB and is off to St Andrew’s to read Economics (they are very relieved and a little surprised!). Term starts on 5 September so are now having to run around and get organised.
Not sure how another friend’s daughter got on (applied for physiotherapy :okay:)

vickster

Legendary Member
I understand you are very proud of your daughter & boyfriend as I would have been were they mine, but are they really the courses what we need our future generations to be taking. Sorry just a moaning old git thinking the future of this country is doomed without engineers & mechanically trained people

Are you an engineer yourself?

markemark

Über Member
My company has equal need for the op daughter’s skills as engineers. In fact just this month I’ve contracted video editors and animators but no mechanics.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

There are jobs out there for these students - Animation goes straight into all the films/TV etc you see - most backgrounds are green screen. Student outcomes are important - i.e. getting graduate level posts after qualifying. Psychology is really popular, it's a great course, BUT very few get a graduate level job after.

D

Deleted member 26715

There are jobs out there for these students - Animation goes straight into all the films/TV etc you see - most backgrounds are green screen. Student outcomes are important - i.e. getting graduate level posts after qualifying. Psychology is really popular, it's a great course, BUT very few get a graduate level job after.

That's good, like a said I'm probably just an old moaning git stuck in the past, but this perceived need that every child should go to university drives me to distraction, there is a whole raft of children that academic life just doesn't suit, they are more manual, practical children & I feel they are just pushed aside by the academic orientated teachers.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A failed one, I wasn't clever enough

I failed the maintenance induction course apparently being colour blind working with wires is a bit of a no no.the company is running it again but by the time I qualified I would be nearly 60 anyway so seems a bit pointless now assuming I could even get through and afford to take a pay cut whilst training.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

That's good, like a said I'm probably just an old moaning git stuck in the past, but this perceived need that every child should go to university drives me to distraction, there is a whole raft of children that academic life just doesn't suit, they are more manual, practical children & I feel they are just pushed aside by the academic orientated teachers.

No, it's a valid case. I work in one and we take great interest in graduate outcomes - plenty of subjects where folk don't get into a graduate level job ! Nursing is like 99.99% at the other end of the scale.

Apprenticeships are really taking off - we're one of the leading providers in the UK - these are graduate apprenticeships. These are a really good alternative route into a profession.

D

Deleted member 26715

I failed the maintenance induction course apparently being colour blind working with wires is a bit of a no no.the company is running it again but by the time I qualified I would be nearly 60 anyway so seems a bit pointless now assuming I could even get through and afford to take a pay cut whilst training.
I probably have ADHD or some variant, along with Dyslexia but they weren't a thing in the 70's as I went through comprehensive, I have difficulty taking things in from the written word & learn far better by demonstration. So it all probably stems from jealousy that I've had to work very hard to provide for my family over the years & see people with no brains & degrees do financially better.

But congratulations to all the parents who have got their children this far, it can't be easy in todays world

I used to work as a techie at a movie special effects studio that did CGI for Hollywood. The key workers in this lucrative industry were their animators and within this group of artists their core skill was traditional sketching .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Best of luck to the young people starting out on their further education and/or careers.

I don't have a clue what a BTEC or a Distinction* is

Top Bottom