Resurrecting a 1973 Carlton Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a picture of a Carlton Competition that I have been putting together from parts sourced from a BSA that I
bought on ebay. Weinmann/ Raleigh centre pull brakes and levers, drop handlebars and levers which I changed
over today for a pair I had taken off of my Falcon. Raleigh/ Huret front and rear also came from the BSA. Although the stem I replaced was a forged GB alloy, it was a bit short and lively when I rode it. I think that the red handlebar tape goes well and is in keeping with the Carlton headbadge, red, white and blue.
The frame number is stamped on the rear dropout, that and the style of Reynolds sticker makes me think that it is
a 1973 model. The dropouts are not Campag but there is an S on the front ones.
The frame looks a lot better now that it has been cleaned with T cut but there is a lot of surface rust. I plan to respray it in the future.

Attachments

• carlton 002.JPG
    carlton 002.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 176

midlife

Guru
Very nice :smile:

Carlton went onto the new Raleigh numbering system beginning with W in 1973, Between 1968 and 1972 the numbers are all over the shop so that wouold be my guess unless you can date it by some original equipment.

Shaun

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Thanks for your comments. It is work in progress at the moment, all of the parts are recycled I am going to let my brother use it while I respray
his Holdsworth Monsoon.
In its present state the bike weighs 11.2 kg about 24.5 lbs and it seems quite fast. The rear seat stays look massive?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
There is that to worry about if I was to respray it. The trouble is that rust never gets any better.I could do what is termed "blow ins" that is to treat and
spray the worst areas and fade the colour in. Initially I wasn't all that keen on the colour, it appeared a bit washed out but now it has got the red handlebar
tape it looks a lot different.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am going to have to change that saddle it's a right pain in the "A".
My most comfy is one of these

B17 n (narrow)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My tablet intervened and started writing gibberish.
I was trying to say I could always swap the saddles over when I needed to.
I think standard on a Carlton was the B5n (well it was on my 68 Clubman) but the B17n is the closest they still make (same shape)
The B5n had a 'dimpled' top and lace holes in the side 'skirts' supposedly made with inferior/cheaper leather but I suspect just hide that was blemished. I was given one not so long ago by John at Bob Warner cycles but that is currently fitted to my Raleigh Equipe and supports the Carradice Longflap I got from there.

Top Bottom