Retro GT Timberline i drive anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A full Susser MTB Martin? I think you need to take a lie down.
That things more ironwork than the Firth of Forth bridge.

ORO

Looks like a early low end GT I drive. So forks and shocks would be budget items and bike would be on the heavy side. I've ridden a later higher spec one. I found it a fast and agile cross country bike. Excellent traction when climbing.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

That's a different Timberline , a #98 steel hardtail.

Early I-drives were a very complex way of not solving a problem that doesn't exist. Full of proprietary parts and many many iterations could make getting spares a thing for filling those cold dark nights ahead. It's also an XL size if thats an issue.

In short; I wouldn't even when drunk.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I concur with @FishFright. Being a member of several GT fan sites, I see many people looking for (at least the higher end i-Drive) parts for these. Even in the US members have trouble finding some spares, especially for the BB and linkages.

I am not familiar with this particular model and even though it has the floating BB of the later higher spec I-Drives, it appears to be a cheaper alternative.

If you can get your hands on a one of the later high end ones, they are a surprisingly good ride, for such a heavy bike. But they won't be cheap.

I prefer a Triple-Triangle GT frame myself

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I concur with @FishFright. Being a member of several GT fan sites, I see many people looking for (at least the higher end i-Drive) parts for these. Even in the US members have trouble finding some spares, especially for the BB and linkages.

I am not familiar with this particular model and even though it has the floating BB of the later higher spec I-Drives, it appears to be a cheaper alternative.

If you can get your hands on a one of the later high end ones, they are a surprisingly good ride, for such a heavy bike. But they won't be cheap.

I prefer a Triple-Triangle GT frame myself

its just different and that what i like in a bike , but dont think i am going any further with this 1

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

ozboz

Guru
I have two GT I drives, one a cheapie , £25 off eBay, about the same spec as Timberline , (I had hard tail Timberland , didn't like it ) this bike has disc brake mounts , the other , an XCR 4000 . Marchozzi Bombers , Fox Vanilla rear ,Top ride on the dirt and mud , heavy-ish , but good off roader ,

Top Bottom