Retro MTB arrival - a 1990 GT Timberline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I picked this up locally via eBay last week; it's a 1990 GT Timberline, frame size Small-Medium. 21 speed triple which is in very good condition with the marbled grey paintwork. All seems original, with the wheels trued slightly this evening. The tyres are a bit old but with decent tread and no cracking. Oh, and the stem looks interesting :ohmy:

DSCF2303_zps51718272.jpg

One issue; the LH triple shifter isn't moving/clicking. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Plans? Potentially fit spike tyres and use as a snow bike to save the Raleigh SP150 and/or I'm planning to leave a bike at work for cross-campus riding.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Stem looks like ET's surprised neck. Looks good apart from that, though I do have soft spot for old school GTs.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Those first generation Rapid Fire shifters weren't the best! My XT ones didn't last the year. I replaced them with thumb shifters that still work fine. Or, it might be a rusted cable!

Yours has a powerful, but mud trapping U brake; nice

I still use a 1988 Saracen as my go to mountain bike. I still manage to surprise a few "radical gnarly" dudes on the red route on Cannock. It does all hurt more than it used to though!

Edit: That stem is from the beach cruiser range. I mean look at it. All that rise! Obviously for just bimbling along looking at the view. 150mm length with zero rise! That's what real men rode with in that era!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Those first generation Rapid Fire shifters weren't the best! My XT ones didn't last the year. I replaced them with thumb shifters that still work fine. Or, it might be a rusted cable

I've looked again this morning; it's broken. A replacement new pair are en route. I need this finished and on the road ASAP.

MarkF

Guru
Great stuff, I had a similar GT Outpost, same wacky stem, I bought it for £50 also from Ebay and with a new chain I had 3 years of fun. My son then rode it into the ground with a paper round, 7 days a week for another 3 years, talk about getting your money's worth!

They are tough things, this summer I met a Spanish guy on the LL canal, he was riding a horrible, yellow, women's early 1990's GT that was way too small for him, it was a comical sight, overloaded with camping gear too, he was riding it from Edinburgh to.............Malaga!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
GT loved their U-Brakes, back then. I've had the Tequesta and Outpost, and the Outpost had a near vertical stem like that. While offered in many sizes, you don't commonly see GT's in the larger sizes, as you do the Treks. I liked the Outpost well enough to ride around on it with a silly amount of seatpost for a good while. It was in great shape, and caught the eye of someone looking for a mountain bike, so out the door it went.
http://midlifecyclistblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/gt-outpost-trail-all-terra_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Well this got fettled this afternoon ... lightly.

The new shifters arrived and whilst I was trying to get the bar grips off using GT85 some got sprayed into the shifter. To cut a long story short, with cleaning and spraying they now work :blush:

Bike cleaned and set up with lights etc. Test ride tomorrow.

Top Bottom