Return to work routines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am going back to work tomorrow - for the first time since LAST January!

I was contemplating full retirement but at the tender age of 59 I have decided it's not all it's cracked up to be in terms of becoming lazy and putting stuff off until "tomorrow" because there's no great urgency any more. I still haven't done half of what I planned to do last year. Plus, covid regulations were a factor. My grand cycling tour plans were scuppered in summer because BnB accommodation became ridiculously expensive, as did camping with a lot of camp sites closing their shower and toilet facilities. Might as well wild camp in that case, which doesn't exactly fill me with desire.

So tomorrow it's time to shock my system back into action. Only 4 mornings, 16 hours per week; but still it's going to be strange after a year out!

Slick

Guru
I am going back to work tomorrow - for the first time since LAST January!

I was contemplating full retirement but at the tender age of 59 I have decided it's not all it's cracked up to be in terms of becoming lazy and putting stuff off until "tomorrow" because there's no great urgency any more. I still haven't done half of what I planned to do last year. Plus, covid regulations were a factor. My grand cycling tour plans were scuppered in summer because BnB accommodation became ridiculously expensive, as did camping with a lot of camp sites closing their shower and toilet facilities. Might as well wild camp in that case, which doesn't exactly fill me with desire.

So tomorrow it's time to shock my system back into action. Only 4 mornings, 16 hours per week; but still it's going to be strange after a year out!
Good luck in the new job. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not work as such but getting out for an early ferry is a great shock. Thursday need to be out on the road by 0830 when I am normally just finishing breakfast.

Drago

Legendary Member
You weakling! Despite not having a job im still up at 0600hrs sorting everyone else out, and ive done 100 press ups and several dozen crunches and calf raises before breakfast.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Following Covid stats finally dropping enough in the U.S. that the Gov't wants its workers to come back to the office work place, I’ll be returning in April, if another Covid variant doesn't raise it’s ugly head. I’m sixty-five now and planning on working until I’m seventy as long as I’m still healthy. There’s a chance we’ll be able to still work from home 2 - 3 days per week as a new norm. That would be great, but we’ll see if they make it happen. I enjoy my job, but much prefer doing it from home.

Not sure if being retired can feel as rewarding. But it will be grand to be able to take long rides any day I want. Perhaps get back into kayaking with my wife as well. After living in a city environment for many years where Mrs Kayakerles wants nothing to do with city cycling, perhaps we can ride together in the country, wherever we decide to move to. I’ve been a solo rider for 8 years.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Once I am signed off to do so, I will be in the office Tuesday-Thursday inclusive. Home working Monday and Friday. I am missing the WFH thing. I am also missing a decent salary but the 45 mile each way commute, after 18+ months of home working, was just hideous. Massively long days of leaving home at 5.45 to be at my desk for 7 and getting in at 6.30pm was awful. I earn half the salary, have 10 hours less working time a week and a 12 minute cycle commute now. My work/life balance is better. I am poorer in money, but richer in time. I don’t regret the move. Been in, full time, for 5 weeks now and it’s all ok so far.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
really dreading when i go back and that alarm goes off at 3.45am

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I hear you Saluki, when commuting (I will return to taking public trans, which the Gov't thankfully pays for) but I get up at 4:30am to get ready to catch a 5:30am bus. I ride my bike to the bus stop, throw my bike on the front in a bike rack, and get into the office by 6:50am. Going home I ride my bike the 11 miles. If you can manage the drop in pay, then it sounds like life could be sweet. 30 hour Work week… minus LOTS of driving daily, sounds SO much better. I read on the bus, so I count that as strictly personal time. Plus, most of all it’s not stressful. My bike ride home takes no longer than the local bus taking me in! When I go back in April, I hope to get to work from home 2-3 days per week.

Top Bottom