Returning to Cycling HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSF23

Regular
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Not new to cycling, but returning to cycling after six years away, which is far too long, but life (work and family) got in the way. I'm male, 52 years old, short, and have some pains that I didn't have when I was younger! I have some general questions if any of you can help me answer them PLEASE:

1. FOOD - As someone who doesn't eat dairy (including eggs) or red meat (I'm NOT vegetarian or vegan though), what is the best food for me to eat pre-ride? Everyday breakfast is a large bowl of porridge with nuts and raisins and sometimes fresh fruit, with soya (milk alternative), and a black bean-to-cup strong coffee.

2. THE BIKE - Being short, I purchased a small frame road bike (Fuji 44cm). It's lovely, BUT compared to say my Specialized Tri-cross Sport that I used for commuting, the rear cassette is very noisy when freewheeling, and the rear wheel doesn't spin unhindered for long before it stops (no brake rub)! Do the bearings need time to wear in, or is the quick release too tight - or both? What's 11Nm when closing a quick release through-hub???

So grateful for any help here!

OldShep

Über Member
That’s a good breakfast I add a slice of toast to that and I can cycle right up to lunchtime on it.
The back wheel might well want its bearings slackened off a bit. There should be play which then disappears after closing the quick release.

OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
That’s a good breakfast I add a slice of toast to that and I can cycle right up to lunchtime on it.
The back wheel might well want its bearings slackened off a bit. There should be play which then disappears after closing the quick release.

Thank you! I haven't measured it (the porridge is my standard pre-work - or cycling - breakfast) and a 1kg bag lasts me around 4 to 5 days, so I'm having around 200g to 250g a day, plus nuts etc. Keeps me going at work until around 2pm (eating at 0515am).

The wheels are through-hubs. Front is fine. Rear: can't work them out (no cones). Roller bearings? No slight play in rear wheel. Nothing rubbing either. OVAL Concepts brand hubs...

OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
1. Complex carbohydrates. Google it and select those that you like the best.

2. Some freewheels are simply noisier than others.

Thank you.

I'll check that out. I carry flapjacks with me too. I don't get hungry (very rarely), but do get to a point of a blood sugar crash (shaky) when I need to eat immediately - or hopefully before!

Yes, the freewheel is loud. Surprised 'me.

boydj

Legendary Member
Q/R should take a bit of effort to close, but not a huge one. To check the bearings, take the wheel out and spin it in your hand. You'll know if there's any resistance from the bearings.

OldShep

Über Member
Q/R should take a bit of effort to close, but not a huge one. To check the bearings, take the wheel out and spin it in your hand. You'll know if there's any resistance from the bearings.
I’d disagree they might well be fine outwith the frame. Always test when clamped there is a difference.

boydj

Legendary Member
Outside the frame
I’d disagree they might well be fine outwith the frame. Always test when clamped there is a difference.

Outside the frame the bearings should be just tight enough that there is no or very little play, so that when the q/r is tightened the bearings are not too tight. If they are tight outside the frame then they are too tight.

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thank you! I haven't measured it (the porridge is my standard pre-work - or cycling - breakfast) and a 1kg bag lasts me around 4 to 5 days, so I'm having around 200g to 250g a day, plus nuts etc. Keeps me going at work until around 2pm (eating at 0515am).

When you say a 1Kg bag are you referring to oats? I can't think what else it would be.

I'm asking because the amount you are using is five to six times the standard portion. Most porridge recipes are 40gm oats with +/- 220 ml of fluid, any combination of milk and water one chooses. I use 80ml milk and 140ml of water with 40gm of oats per serving. To this I add level desert spoon of honey and creme Fraiche.

I eat porridge every day. I use 40gm of oats on a non-cycling day and 60gm before a ride. Gets me to lunchtime easily.

Seems to me you are eating an enormous amount of porridge and I wonder how healthy that is? 40gm of porridge oats is 160 calories with nothing added. If I've read you correctly your servings are 800-960 calories plus liquids and your nuts etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yes, my consumption does sound a lot (I'll have to gauge it properly to see if my consumption is what I stated exactly! I may overstated that).

My day job involves a great deal of brisk walking; anywhere between 7 and 15 miles per day, so I need slow-release energy-giving food. Lunch is light: often a pitta with salad and a small amount of chicken or turkey, and that's it until dinner. I eat huge amounts of vegetables and/or salad with my evening meal; no read meat or dairy (no cheese or anything similar), so overall my daily consumption is probably around the expected amount for a man.

OP
OP
M

MSF23

Regular
Outside the frame

Outside the frame the bearings should be just tight enough that there is no or very little play, so that when the q/r is tightened the bearings are not too tight. If they are tight outside the frame then they are too tight.

Finally had the opportunity to properly check this out yesterday. The Freehub (a "Formula" FH 536 from the look of it) is the one making all the noise, AND appearing to drag somewhat, so I'd like to change it... but unlike other bikes I've worked on, there is no visible Allen Key socket, nor do I have any idea how to disassemble the Through Hub/ Through Axle (I'm not referring to the quick release, the hub itself plus Freehub body).

Cassette/drive side has flats; nothing on the non-drive side, and it doesn't appear to want to pull off on that side either.

Anyone any ideas?

Oh, and the disc brake rotor can't be removed with my Shimano lock ring tool because that part of the hub protrudes too much, so the tool won't engage with the lock ring!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thank you.

I'll check that out. I carry flapjacks with me too. I don't get hungry (very rarely), but do get to a point of a blood sugar crash (shaky) when I need to eat immediately - or hopefully before!

Yes, the freewheel is loud. Surprised 'me.

You might want to think about supplementing your carb snacks with something with more fats and protein, if you're getting sugar crashes.

I take Brazil nuts (with raisins)
But I guess any high fat nut would do.

Welcome back to cycling by the way :okay:

Top Bottom