Returning to the fold .............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turbo tim

Returning to the fold ............. Update!

I'll soon be rejoining the fixie fold! Picked this frame up on Saturday which will become the heart of my new bike. Found it on ebay and after a bit of a chat the very nice man and I came to an arrangement which involved me handing over not too much cash. Included were the all chrome forks and a lovely classic two bolt Campag seat pin.

The frame is pretty old, I'm guessing sixties, but structurally very good. Started life as a road going fixed wheel bike, but was converted to a geared bike some time back with new dropouts and a few braze-ons added. So road geometry, 70mm BB drop, but with 120mm width back end.

So today I packed it off to Vaz Finishers with a list of work to be done - swap dropouts back to track ends, remove all cable stops and refinish in Dark Rosso Metallic/White in the same scheme as the blue shown, lugs lined in gold. Should get it back end of next week. Can't wait :biggrin:

shorter.JPG

OP
OP
T

turbo tim

Update:

Back from Mario Vaz

Shorter6.JPG

Shorter8.JPG

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You beauty!
Nice one TT (proto... thinking of an gathering of the locals soon).
Must contact Vaz after seeing that, still wondering about getting my Brit. Eagle Touristique done. Seems he does good work!

OP
OP
T

turbo tim

Thanks FF. Can highly recommend Mario Vaz. About 60% of the price of Argos. The lug lining was only £6.50, the white panels £15.00 and the rainbow bands £1.00 each. Bargain I reckon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
turbo tim said:
Thanks FF. Can highly recommend Mario Vaz. About 60% of the price of Argos. The lug lining was only £6.50, the white panels £15.00 and the rainbow bands £1.00 each. Bargain I reckon.

Sounds very reasonable I must say.

Mmmmm maybe the old Holdsworth should be restored to her former glory as well...

Ste_S

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid all in ? I need pretty much the same work doing on a frame I have

OP
OP
T

turbo tim

Total bill was £162 plus £15.00 carriage.

Something like this:

Change dropouts £60.00
Remove various stops £20.00
Paint single colour £60.00
White panels (2) £15.00
Lug lining £ 7.00
World champ decals £ 2.00

Something not quite adding up there but you get the idea. I think Argos are £100 per single colour and £15.00 each for any additional panels. Jacksons/Atlantic Boulevard are similar.

Mario is on holiday for another week so won't be answereing his phone. Really good bloke, highly recommended.

Oh, and I paid £75.00 for the frame including the seatpost/headset/levers/front mech and knackered TA bottom bracket!

Ste_S

Thanks for posting that, looks pretty good value.

Will have to give him a call when he gets back from holiday

Top Bottom