Reverse a 'flat' sprocket and double the service life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sham69

Über Member
Whilst trying to source a new sprocket for my i-motion9 IHG, I read somewhere that I could simply reverse the old sprocket (it is a 'flat' type) to double its service life.

I managed to obtain a new sprocket at reasonable cost but they're becoming increasingly rare. If it's feasible, I'd like to reverse the old sprocket and get another year or two out of it. Are there any disadvantages in doing this? Thanks for your consideration.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Provided it fits that way round I can't see a problem. If there is you'll either feel or hear it.

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I have a new chain ready to fit. I'll reverse the old sprocket, fit new chain and see how it goes. Nice to have a new spare sprocket too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of the selling points of the Rohloff hub is the sprocket is reversible.

Handy on that round the world ride when the chain starts to jump in the Gobi desert - provided you have the special tool needed to remove the sprocket.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Quite right. You can’t teach an old cog new links.

I keep one of these handy for these moments , you're welcome to borrow it

B1552_GR7173.jpg

Whilst trying to source a new sprocket for my i-motion9 IHG, I read somewhere that I could simply reverse the old sprocket (it is a 'flat' type) to double its service life.

I managed to obtain a new sprocket at reasonable cost but they're becoming increasingly rare. If it's feasible, I'd like to reverse the old sprocket and get another year or two out of it. Are there any disadvantages in doing this? Thanks for your consideration.
Yes you can. Anyone that says it cannot be reversed with a new chain doesn't understand the mechanics of chains and sprockets. In fact, it will only work with a new chain, not a chain worn to and beyond 0.5% elongation.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes you can. Anyone that says it cannot be reversed with a new chain doesn't understand the mechanics of chains and sprockets. In fact, it will only work with a new chain, not a chain worn to and beyond 0.5% elongation.
Excepting the one I have, where the teeth are beyond shark-tooth and have actually worn into the backside of the tooth. The chainrings and spider were corroded to the BB axle and spider, so previous owner just kept on riding until the bike wound up with me. Took one look at it and ground the whole mess off, saving the small cog.

Excepting the one I have, where the teeth are beyond shark-tooth and have actually worn into the backside of the tooth. The chainrings and spider were corroded to the BB axle and spider, so previous owner just kept on riding until the bike wound up with me. Took one look at it and ground the whole mess off, saving the small cog.

I can't quite picture what you mean. We're talking sprockets here i.e. back, not front.

Only front sprockets wear like shark fins. None wear like shark teeth, although the last stage of shark fin wear is a bit tooth-like, but still asymmetrical.

[QUOTE 5480613, member: 9609"]I found with mine that I could also advance them, they don't wear evenly on my bike, with most wear taking place at the position the power is applied. Therefor taking the chain wheel off and then reassembling it slightly advanced brings the wear to another section.

(wonder if that made any sense at all)[/QUOTE]

You're talking chainrings, right? Yes you can advance them if you are prepared to sacrifice the safety that the chain blocker pin provides. And yes, it does make sense because wear on chainrings is uneven and concentrated in two opposite places.

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member

Thanks for the advice/comments/suggestions.

Just for completeness' sake - in the highly unlikely event that someone else out there also runs an i-motion9 IGH - reversing the 'flat' worn sprocket works a treat. Whilst I was at it, I reversed the chainring too as that was also a little worn and 'flat' (an SRAM Truvativ Isoflow 1.0G chainset with single 42T ring). So my only outlay was for a new chain. Sorted.

Top Bottom