Review of Flycamone2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've just found out that there is to be a battery pack and head strap out soon for the Flycamone2. The battery pack will be 1000mAh.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Further update.

The price for the battery pack will be around £23 (can use with other equipment apparently) and will be available in about 4 weeks
The Headset will be around £7 and will be available in 4 Weeks

The company also informs me that they are making a waterproof case for diving so it should cope with the Glasgow Rain! ;) The waterproof case will be approximately 12 to 15 PND 6 Weeks.

I wonder if I should try and blag freebies to review :evil:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
it runs on 5 volt, well you can buy a race pack cheaper
race pack 1700mAh

also found this :-
Following the sucess of the Flycam an all new version has been anounced and will be available first week of November .

This new version has substantial improvements and has all the features of the Flycamone plus many additions. The size makes it a good onboard camera but the new features will make it double as a security camera .

The resolutions is higher for Video and still .
Has the ablity to use external and internal power supply
The lens is pivoted and also has a servo arm to alter the angle
A motion heat sensor detector to turn on video - doubles as a security camera
Time lapse still photography
a small LCD status screen to see what the camera is doing
A continous video recording mode - useful as security camera
improved mount can allow shooting angle be changed by servo

OP
OP
M

magnatom

numbnuts said:
it runs on 5 volt, well you can buy a race pack cheaper
race pack 1700mAh

also found this :-
Following the sucess of the Flycam an all new version has been anounced and will be available first week of November .

This new version has substantial improvements and has all the features of the Flycamone plus many additions. The size makes it a good onboard camera but the new features will make it double as a security camera .

The resolutions is higher for Video and still .
Has the ablity to use external and internal power supply
The lens is pivoted and also has a servo arm to alter the angle
A motion heat sensor detector to turn on video - doubles as a security camera
Time lapse still photography
a small LCD status screen to see what the camera is doing
A continous video recording mode - useful as security camera
improved mount can allow shooting angle be changed by servo

That's interesting about the battery pack. I'll need to check if it would connect with the connector on the flycamone2.

The Flycam original was called the Flycamone. I've reviewed the Flycamone2 which is the new improved version you have described. So I assume they are talking about November 2007.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

numbnuts said:
the flycamone2 has a USB connecter, so you will need a female USB and wire that to the battery, make sure you know which is which + or -

Numnuts, It also has another connector on the back that might accept the plug from the battery pack. Have a look at the manual I have linked to in the review as it has a diagram for it.

Plax

Guru
How would you mount this to your rack? If you lay it flat it looks like it will point at the sky.

I remembered last night that my uncle gave me his old Aiptek Pocket DV3500. So I stuck it to the handlebars on it's side. Then on the way home I stuck it to the rear rack on its side. Unfortuntely it only has a 16mb SD card so only recorded a couple of minutes either way, plus when you rig it up to the PC to view, the videos are obviously sideways. Is there software to rotate a video clip? I couldn't figure it out on mine if there is (Nero).

Also how obvious is it that you have a camera on the back with this? The DV3500 is just over 4 inches in height so would look well obvious if I put it on the rack that it's a camera if I put it the right way up.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Plax said:
How would you mount this to your rack? If you lay it flat it looks like it will point at the sky.

I remembered last night that my uncle gave me his old Aiptek Pocket DV3500. So I stuck it to the handlebars on it's side. Then on the way home I stuck it to the rear rack on its side. Unfortuntely it only has a 16mb SD card so only recorded a couple of minutes either way, plus when you rig it up to the PC to view, the videos are obviously sideways. Is there software to rotate a video clip? I couldn't figure it out on mine if there is (Nero).

Also how obvious is it that you have a camera on the back with this? The DV3500 is just over 4 inches in height so would look well obvious if I put it on the rack that it's a camera if I put it the right way up.

One of the picture in the review has the camera part (the silver bit) rotated. You can rotate it 90 degrees, so you could lay it flat with the camera tilted at 90 degrees.

I have the camera upright (held by an old reflector bracket) and I am certain that motorists can see it. When cars pull up behind you it is (usually) at a relatively slow speed, so they have time to see it. I have definitely noticed cars giving me more room recently! I'll see how long it lasts....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

P.S. You can also tell the camera to flip the video (i.e. top to bottom) so no matter what way you mount it the video will be the right way up!

Top Bottom