Reviving ball point pens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Some years ago I bulk bought a large box of ball point pens in what now appears to have been a sadly mistaken cost saving exercise.

I have only got half way through the box of pens and now find that the rest have all "dried up" or at least don't write.

Anyone got a suggestion on how I could revive them?

Not really a cycling question I know, but a while ago someone was able to come up with a method for reusing cable ties so I am sure there must be some ball point expertise on the forum.

caz

Not being an expert ball point pen user I have occasionally had a similar problem in the past. Have you tried putting the nib end under the hot water tap? It normally works for me! Alternatively how about putting them in the airing cupboard - not that I've ever tried that, but the warmth may help!

longers

Legendary Member
You're best option is probably to strip them down and re-brand them as pea-shooters for petit pois and flog them on e-bay.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I'll try the hot water method first.

I already have a lot of odd objects stored in the airing cupboard, and I suspect adding any more might result in protests from certain other members of the household.

frog

As the memory ain't what it used to be I've taken to carrying a notebook and pencil at work these past three months. The first thing I foind was when it was notebook and pen was I always lost my pen, some bugger would see it on the desk and away it would go. For two months I've been using a pencil. Do loads of writing, handwriting has got very neat again, and I'm still on my first pencil.

I reckon the other nine I've got in the top drawer will last me the nine years I've got to go to retirement. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just stand the pens point down in a warm place. The ink will run down into the ball and they'll work.

simoncc

Why not just throw them out? Surely you get a couple of biros a week from Oxfam and various other charities?

Jaded

Take the plastic cap off the non-writing end and heat them gently over a candle. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
A standard ball point pen has a shelf life of around two to four years, the ink in the tube is a mixture of various pigments and organic solvents, the solvents will naturally evaporate over time rendering the pen effectively dead.

slow down

The ink may be okay, but the ball seized. Try using the pen on a rubber surface - shoe soles are good as the grip is better and the ball will work - revived many a pen this way.

Top Bottom