Revolution Country Explorer '14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

watchtowergoggs

This is my shiny new touring bike. The Revolution Country Explorer'14 bought from the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative. This a cheap low end touring bike as I don't exactly have a large budget. :sad:

I'm hoping it does the job.

Having grown up on mountain bikes, this one was a little bit strange to ride but I'm slowly getting used to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140826_193810.jpg
    IMG_20140826_193810.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 358

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
How much was it if you don't mind me asking :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
This is my shiny new touring bike. The Revolution Country Explorer'14 bought from the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative. This a cheap low end touring bike as I don't exactly have a large budget. :sad:

I'm hoping it does the job.

Having grown up on mountain bikes, this one was a little bit strange to ride but I'm slowly getting used to it.

They are nice bikes. Don't get hung up on the idea that it doesn't cost £x so mustn't be as good. It's a touring bike, with good quality components and should perform admirably :smile:

OP
OP
watchtowergoggs

watchtowergoggs

How much was it if you don't mind me asking :smile:

The bike was originally priced at £689 and the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative were having a summer sale, so I ended up buying it for £589. Couldn't really pass up on £100 saving.

I have ridden MTB's all my life. A few months back I purchased a Dawes hybrid.
I am still getting used to it lol

It's the lack of suspension that gets me, I'm so used to riding through pot holes and not feeling them very much, but with the touring bike every bump I feel is making me wince in pain for my bike. There's been a few times where I've hit something and thought "oh gawd, puncture!" but the bike seems to be holding up to it…. so far. I just have to remember not to ride it like my old MTB and that it's not as good at absorbing the shocks as a MTB is.

I'm expecting to have buckled wheels by the end of year!

OP
OP
watchtowergoggs

watchtowergoggs

Aha - a fellow Traveller! I got mine in February - last year's model, so no disk brakes. And am well hooked! Tough, agile, fast, and carries loads without complaint. Lovely bike.

I bought the next one down, the Country Traveller, a couple of years ago and I absolutely love it.

Did you guys upgrade the bikes in any way?

I'm looking into what I can do to make it little lighter as it's about 15kg on it's own.

ScotiaLass

Guru
The bike was originally priced at £689 and the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative were having a summer sale, so I ended up buying it for £589. Couldn't really pass up on £100 saving.

It's the lack of suspension that gets me, I'm so used to riding through pot holes and not feeling them very much, but with the touring bike every bump I feel is making me wince in pain for my bike. There's been a few times where I've hit something and thought "oh gawd, puncture!" but the bike seems to be holding up to it…. so far. I just have to remember not to ride it like my old MTB and that it's not as good at absorbing the shocks as a MTB is.

I'm expecting to have buckled wheels by the end of year!
Ha! That's the same problem I'm having. I try to ride it like my MTB and it doesn't work :laugh:

OP
OP
watchtowergoggs

watchtowergoggs

The EBC Revolution Country Explorer is a fab bike and, as others have said, its low price doesn't mean low spec or not good.

I though about getting one. The only problem is that the compact frame didn't mix well with having long feet...

Big feet? now that's just bragging! :laugh:

alesupper

I'm thinking of getting one of these. How tall are you and what size did you go for. I'm 5'9" and unsure whether to go for the 52 or the 55? I'd rather have a bike slightly too small than slightly too large.

HorTs

Über Member
I had the model from a couple of years back. Liked it very much and if I had the money and space to have kept it I would have.

I wouldn't down talk it at all - a very capable bike.

OP
OP
watchtowergoggs

watchtowergoggs

I'm thinking of getting one of these. How tall are you and what size did you go for. I'm 5'9" and unsure whether to go for the 52 or the 55? I'd rather have a bike slightly too small than slightly too large.

I'm a very short 5' 3", so I had to go for the smallest frame which was 49". The frame is fractionally too big for me. It meant adjusting the saddle and drop down bars slightly to get it to a point where I wasn't stretching too far to reach the drop bars.

Not sure what size of frame would suit you, would be best either to email the shop and ask or do what I did and turn up at the shop and try out a few of the different frame sizes to find out which one you are comfortable with.

But being a short arse there was only really one option for me!

Top Bottom