Reynolds 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Where does this come in compared to 531 in the reynolds hierarchy ?
Is it the cheaper end of the scale referred to as gas pipe ?

Chris James

Über Member
Someone else asked the exact same question eblow and the answer given was that it was plain gauge Cr-Mo (so better than gas pipe, but not by a lot)

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-241154-15-1.html

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Thanks, I had tried googling it but could never find any mention of it. I noted that McBludgeons 2 frames that he is sending off for respray are both 500 as is my fixed.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The 501 is still a good steel frame just a bit heavier than 531 so maybe a bit tougher too - if you're a fat fella the extra weight might not make a great deal of difference in the great scheme of things! :biggrin:
I've got an old Raleigh 501 kicking about - it's not such a bad old heap.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
for the definitive answer, ask a bicycle geek

Reynolds-tubing-sizes.jpg

jimboalee

You don't have to believe this, but this is what came out of Tyseley.

531 is Chromium, Manganese, Molybdenum alloyed steel.
501 is Chromium, , Molybdenum alloyed steel.
500 is Chromium, , alloyed steel.

631 is more Chrome than 531.
653, 753 and 853 are variations with better developed heat treatment processes.

MartinC

Über Member
jimboalee said:
You don't have to believe this, but this is what came out of Tyseley.

531 is Chromium, Manganese, Molybdenum alloyed steel.
501 is Chromium, , Molybdenum alloyed steel.
500 is Chromium, , alloyed steel.

631 is more Chrome than 531.
653, 753 and 853 are variations with better developed heat treatment processes.

+1

IIRC the numbers referred to the proportions of Chromium, Manganese and Molybdenum in the alloy. Then there was the gauge, butting and other tube profiling that could vary. 531 came in various guises e.g. 531C - light double butted for competition, 531ST - heavier gauge for touring, 531 Pro - a joke (531 tubing with the same gauge as the much stronger heat treated 753, light but with the strength of tissue paper). I don't think 500 was ever butted - it was at the bottom end of their range

Chris James

Über Member
MartinC said:
+1

IIRC the numbers referred to the proportions of Chromium, Manganese and Molybdenum in the alloy.

I recall people saying that too. However, it is totally wrong!

My computer at work doesn’t display some of the attached pictures on cycle chat so I cant tell if oft posted Reynolds chart was attached above.

If not, Reynolds 500 is plain gauge Cr-Mo (not just chrome), 1mm thick – 501 is the same material but butted down to 0.8mm in the middle of the tubes, so slightly lighter. Since all the steels have the same density then the wall thickness corresponds directly to the weight fo the frame.

531 was a Mn-Mo (not chrome), according to Wikipedia it had an approximate alloying composition of 1.5% Mn, 0.25% Mo, 0.35% C.

I don’t know how they came up with their numbering system but it isn’t just on chemical composition. For example, I believe 631 is the same stuff as 853 but without the additional heat treatments to increase it’s strength.

Top Bottom