RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
A is 4+
B is 3.2 - 4.0
C is 2.4 - 3.2
D is upto 2.4

( all W/kg)

On Zwift... I don't think there is any general rule as to what wkg translates into a specfic category across the many different training platforms.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Looks like I need to do some training then :smile:

Though I am sure as I get used to riding on the turbo, I'll get better values.

Losing the stone I gained over Christmas will probably help, as well. That is over 6Kg.

I probably should do an actual FTP test rather than just riding as well. I think I would be in the 2nd category from bottom, rather than the bottom one - although I never went above 4W/Kg, I wasn't trying to see how high I could get it.

How do the Zwift racing categories map onto those?

Remember W/Kg doesn’t define your worth. It just helps define your current capability’s such that any training you do (if you want to do any) is a stretch but achievable.

Alex321

Veteran
A is 4+
B is 3.2 - 4.0
C is 2.4 - 3.2
D is upto 2.4

( all W/kg)

Ok, so I did another 30 minute session today, and averaged 2.41 W/kg for 20 minutes, so I think I'd be cat D if I came over to Zwift. Probably reach Cat C fairly soon though if keep at it.

It is certainly harder work than I'm usually putting in outdoors, but when I ride outdoors, I' riding as much for the pleasure of riding as fo9r fitness, and you tackle bends and downhills very differently.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
@Alex321 , if you want to do an FTP-style time-trial effort on RGT, there's a 10-mile flat race here that's attracting quite a reasonable-sized field. I've not raced on RGT before, but may give it a go if I can sort the evening regime to suit it.

https://rgtdb.com/events/202721

If you're already signed-up to Zwift, there are quite a few TT events there. Tempus Fugit is flat and lends itself to steady efforts; Bologna has a sharp climb and benefits an over-threshold effort in the second half; there are increasingly many TT events being held on other courses, too.

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Ok, so I did another 30 minute session today, and averaged 2.41 W/kg for 20 minutes, so I think I'd be cat D if I came over to Zwift. Probably reach Cat C fairly soon though if keep at it.

It is certainly harder work than I'm usually putting in outdoors, but when I ride outdoors, I' riding as much for the pleasure of riding as fo9r fitness, and you tackle bends and downhills very differently.

Ah, I should have said it is slightly more complicated than that.

The power bands I quoted are your FTP. They use an estimate for FTP which is 95% of your best 20 minute power. So if your best 20 min power is say 240W, your estimated FTP is 240 x 0.95 = 228W.

Alex321

Veteran
Ah, I should have said it is slightly more complicated than that.

The power bands I quoted are your FTP. They use an estimate for FTP which is 95% of your best 20 minute power. So if your best 20 min power is say 240W, your estimated FTP is 240 x 0.95 = 228W.

Yeah, That's why I said I would be band D. My 20 minute power was right on the 2.4W/Kg threshold between D & C, but 95% of that is definitely below the threshold.

Alex321

Veteran
@Alex321 , if you want to do an FTP-style time-trial effort on RGT, there's a 10-mile flat race here that's attracting quite a reasonable-sized field. I've not raced on RGT before, but may give it a go if I can sort the evening regime to suit it.

https://rgtdb.com/events/202721

If you're already signed-up to Zwift, there are quite a few TT events there. Tempus Fugit is flat and lends itself to steady efforts; Bologna has a sharp climb and benefits an over-threshold effort in the second half; there are increasingly many TT events being held on other courses, too.

I don't think I'll be carrying on with RGT. There don't seem to be enough routes.

I'm trying Rouvy at the moment, and liking it more, though I'm struggling a bit to see some of the numbers on the laptop screen. I have a spare monitor I need to take out there (trainer set up in garage).

At some point I will give Zwift a go, doing their free trial when the Rouvy one expires. But at the moment, I think Rouvy is the most likely one I'll carry on with.

I'll have to pick just one, my wife wouldn't put up with me paying more than one subscription.

Alex321

Veteran
Going through the Rouvy Startup challenge, the next part is a workout which they say allows them to get a better estimate of your FTP. That one sounds like very hard work, but then any FTP test will be, as it is meant to judge the hardest effort you can put in over that time.

Legs

I don't think I'll be carrying on with RGT. There don't seem to be enough routes.

I'm trying Rouvy at the moment, and liking it more, though I'm struggling a bit to see some of the numbers on the laptop screen. I have a spare monitor I need to take out there (trainer set up in garage).

At some point I will give Zwift a go, doing their free trial when the Rouvy one expires. But at the moment, I think Rouvy is the most likely one I'll carry on with.

I'll have to pick just one, my wife wouldn't put up with me paying more than one subscription.

The non-fancypants version of RGT is free. It's limited to a few routes to free-ride at any one time (although they seem to be on rotation), and there's a very limited library of workouts, but you can still enter events (group rides, races, 'challenges') on any of the routes, including the 'Magic Roads' routes that subscriber users have generated.

Alex321

Veteran
The non-fancypants version of RGT is free. It's limited to a few routes to free-ride at any one time (although they seem to be on rotation), and there's a very limited library of workouts, but you can still enter events (group rides, races, 'challenges') on any of the routes, including the 'Magic Roads' routes that subscriber users have generated.

I didn't realise you could enter events on the routes that aren't free (only two free routes at the moment), but there are only round about a dozen routes altogether, even in the paid version, not including the "Magic Roads".

Legs

I guess it really depends on whether you're riding for visual stimulation or using it as a training/racing platform... I only very rarely ride on RGT, because the visuals are very boring!

Alex321

Veteran
I guess it really depends on whether you're riding for visual stimulation or using it as a training/racing platform... I only very rarely ride on RGT, because the visuals are very boring!

Bit of both really.

I bought the turbo trainer because I wanted to keep up my fitness when there are too many days unfit to get outside on the bike.

But the visual stimulation makes it very much more likely that I will actually use it. Without that aspect, I would get bored rather quickly., and it really wouldn't serve its purpose.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Bit of both really.

I bought the turbo trainer because I wanted to keep up my fitness when there are too many days unfit to get outside on the bike.

But the visual stimulation makes it very much more likely that I will actually use it. Without that aspect, I would get bored rather quickly., and it really wouldn't serve its purpose.

One good thing about Zwift is the challenges, group rides and racing. If you allow them to, they give you things to shoot for and hence more motivation to ride.

Alex321

Veteran
One good thing about Zwift is the challenges, group rides and racing. If you allow them to, they give you things to shoot for and hence more motivation to ride.

Rouvy has those too, but I suspect numbers taking part will not be as high. Zwift is by far the most popular of the indoor training apps.

Top Bottom