RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
@AndyMacca Thanks for the info. Certainly the future events / past results bit of RGTDB reminded me a lot of ZwiftPower, so I wasn't sure whether it was a similar thing in that it was/wasn't an in-house thing or whether you needed to be signed up for it or not in order to do events. At the very least I can use it to find events multiple days in advance a lot quicker than I can than on the app!

I don't (and won't) use Facebook, so that's a no-go, but I have given the RGT Blog a quick scan through and have seen a couple of interesting things.

I am now on the Premium free trial and did eventually get a Magic Road event set up, although it was certainly not user friendly. The bit where you have to type in the code is hidden away in the app (or at least I think it is - maybe if you're used to it, it seems more logical) and it won't let you copy and paste so I had to keep switching back and forth between the app and my browser (where I'd opened the magicroads.org website), typing a few letters at a time. Even when I got the code entered I still wasn't sure it had worked, but ended up randomly clicking on things and eventually accidentally started an event for ten minutes time and I'm still not sure how.

Ironically, the actual Magic Road event was superb once I got it working. The route I'd picked (even though it was someone else's) was one I'd done in real life and it matched my memory of it superbly, plus the addition of a load of bots that were all just slightly above or a tiny bit below my power levels (have to assume that was deliberate) made it a lot more like an informal race - trying to hang on to the draft of the slightly better riders was a real challenge but not impossible.

Noted about the auto-braking - makes sense. The only time I found it annoying was coming down the first descent on Cap Formentor, where because I don't know the course, I had no idea which upcoming bends were tight and which weren't (having spent three years on Zwift I now know every corner off by heart) so I'd be pedalling when I didn't need to or coasting when I should have been putting the power down! That will only come with more experience.

pb63

Veteran
Hi guys, I’ve just joined rgt. I’m doing wahoo SYSTM too but for some of the easier sessions I plan to ride group rides.

Can I ask what level you have trainer difficulty on? My first session was a total grind on the De Ronde course. My knees nearly exploded. I had it on 100 per cent but managed the four laps. I’m using wahoo kickr core.

Also I notice it defaults to switching erg mode off. I assume non erg is the correct mode for most normal riding situations? Erg just for workout or if you want to ride to a target.

Thanks and maybe see some of you out there 👍

mjd1988

Guru
Hi guys, I’ve just joined rgt. I’m doing wahoo SYSTM too but for some of the easier sessions I plan to ride group rides.

Can I ask what level you have trainer difficulty on? My first session was a total grind on the De Ronde course. My knees nearly exploded. I had it on 100 per cent but managed the four laps. I’m using wahoo kickr core.

Also I notice it defaults to switching erg mode off. I assume non erg is the correct mode for most normal riding situations? Erg just for workout or if you want to ride to a target.

Thanks and maybe see some of you out there 👍

I'm not on RGT as much as most of these guys but I find the default setting of 50% that zwift uses is a good starting point and then you can increase it a bit after that (I think I'm on 65% or something now as I have a setup with gears whereas for a long time I was very limited on that front!)

Yeah erg is just for workouts really.

Hope you enjoy it!

BurningLegs

Veteran
Any thoughts on Wahoo's purchase of RGT and integration into the "Wahoo X" offering bundled with Systm?

I'm a Zwift susbcriber, and I'm there because I enjoy the racing. I can do custom workouts any number of ways, but the critical mass of racers is currently at Zwift and they have some good stuff going with the Zwift Racing League.

However, ZRL finishes in a few months and the next one isn't until September so I've frozen my Zwift membership and will be signing up to the free trial or Wahoo X in a few weeks time to try the different training and racing experiences.

I've never ridden RGT before, so looking forward to dipping my toe in :smile:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Any thoughts on Wahoo's purchase of RGT and integration into the "Wahoo X" offering bundled with Systm?

I'm a Zwift susbcriber, and I'm there because I enjoy the racing. I can do custom workouts any number of ways, but the critical mass of racers is currently at Zwift and they have some good stuff going with the Zwift Racing League.

However, ZRL finishes in a few months and the next one isn't until September so I've frozen my Zwift membership and will be signing up to the free trial or Wahoo X in a few weeks time to try the different training and racing experiences.

I've never ridden RGT before, so looking forward to dipping my toe in :smile:

Haven’t been on it for a bit but used both
RGT is different to Zwift or was
A bit harder to find races - but they are there if you look either in facecrack or rgtdb
Automatic breaking takes some getting used to and breaking downhill
But personally I like it more as I think it feels more real when you get used to it
Just a shame more didn’t use it - may be different now

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have an old free RGT account. Just gone back in first time since purchase. Had to reset password as part of takeover.

You can find races and magic roads in the app under Events.

I don’t do the racing but if you just want to get a bit of a workout in, with a bit of virtual scenery it works well.

D871B4D9-37CA-4611-AE3C-1840E4EDB947.png

BurningLegs

Veteran
Well, I have just paid for an annual subscription to Wahoo SYSTM so will have access to RGT for the next year.

I like the variety offered by SYSTM - the guided rides/videos are good and quite a welcome change from staring at a power target and a fake cartoon world in Zwift.

I am only really keeping Zwift because that's where the racing community is. If Wahoo/RGT can crack that and get a good community going then I'd consider cancelling Zwift!

mjd1988

Guru
I saw a few Facebook messages from community race organisers getting mad at wahoo for destroying grassroots race series. Seems very similar to zwift a while back. Suppose that's capitalism

BurningLegs

Veteran
I saw a few Facebook messages from community race organisers getting mad at wahoo for destroying grassroots race series. Seems very similar to zwift a while back. Suppose that's capitalism

Didn’t see those but it sounds like a bad move on the face of it to stamp out any racing or community events when the main problem with the platform is adoption!!

mjd1988

Guru
Didn’t see those but it sounds like a bad move on the face of it to stamp out any racing or community events when the main problem with the platform is adoption!!
Yeah don't know the background to be fair, seems that they've launched a flagship series that conflicts with an existing one. Probably hard to avoid not annoying someone

Screenshot_20221101-134708.png

Screenshot_20221101-134703.png

CXRAndy

Guru
Its going have to be absolutely fantastic graphics, drafting, real feel racing with hundreds of competitors and much cheaper to lure dedicated Zwifters onto it.

No platform is perfect, but Zwift is king-for the foreseeable

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Ain’t we a strange bunch ! 20 yrs ago we would have chopped one of our competitors legs off to have any platform like these , and I am guessing our jaws would drop if we could see what platforms will be like in 20 years time
All the ones I have tried all have there flaws and all of them try in their own way to sort the flaws
I like RGT better than Zwift
I like Rouvy better than RGT
But I use Zwift over RGT just because there are more people so more events
Rouvy is (imo) better than both of them but doesn’t have the people - yet
Maybe we should have a poll 😁
We know who will win but it might open eyes

Top Bottom