RGT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithaitch

keithaitch

Veteran
I’ve signed up to both the SDW races tomorrow evening, is there any room in the team?
Yes, just wear the big ring shirt

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Anyone going to do this tuo giro 10 day challenge thing ?

steverob

Guru
Hey all. I just let my Zwift subscription expire - ostensibly for the summer, but given the weather of the last 10 days, it looks like I'll still be riding indoors for a while yet - so thought I'd give RGT a spin. Have done a handful of trial rides so far and I think I've worked out all the initial oddities I was experiencing (mainly with device pairing), but I'm still a little lost on the finer details, so thought I'd ask on here if there's anything you more experienced folks would recommend - any resources out there useful to an RGT beginner? I do have some specific questions as well (below), but feel free to chime in with any advice along the lines of "wish I'd have known this when I started" etc.

1) Are there any lists on-line of upcoming events, preferably on a web page? Scrolling through a tiny font list that takes up only half a screen on the RGT app on my phone to try and find something in 2-3 days time seems really unwieldy.
2) Found a site that lists other people's Magic Road creations and some of those looked really interesting and I'd love to ride them, but really struggled to actually use them. If I click the link when I'm on my PC, it says you need to do it on your phone, but if I click the link on my phone it just opens the RGT app home page and nothing specific to do with that course/route happens. How are you meant to use them exactly?
3) Do the default "free" courses ever change, or is it always Cap Formentor and Borrego Springs? I have now signed up for the 14 day free Premium trial, but each time I log in, those are the only two courses not marked as Premium only, whereas I'd have figured that would change from day to day.
4) I eventually worked out that when the power numbers go red, that's when RGT is auto applying the brakes cause you're going in to a corner too fast or about to collide with one of the bots. But is there anything I should do - is it worth stopping pedalling and then pushing hard after the corner/overtake, or does it not make a difference and I should continue putting out the same power and let the game deal with it?

mjd1988

Guru
Hey all. I just let my Zwift subscription expire - ostensibly for the summer, but given the weather of the last 10 days, it looks like I'll still be riding indoors for a while yet - so thought I'd give RGT a spin. Have done a handful of trial rides so far and I think I've worked out all the initial oddities I was experiencing (mainly with device pairing), but I'm still a little lost on the finer details, so thought I'd ask on here if there's anything you more experienced folks would recommend - any resources out there useful to an RGT beginner? I do have some specific questions as well (below), but feel free to chime in with any advice along the lines of "wish I'd have known this when I started" etc.

1) Are there any lists on-line of upcoming events, preferably on a web page? Scrolling through a tiny font list that takes up only half a screen on the RGT app on my phone to try and find something in 2-3 days time seems really unwieldy.
2) Found a site that lists other people's Magic Road creations and some of those looked really interesting and I'd love to ride them, but really struggled to actually use them. If I click the link when I'm on my PC, it says you need to do it on your phone, but if I click the link on my phone it just opens the RGT app home page and nothing specific to do with that course/route happens. How are you meant to use them exactly?
3) Do the default "free" courses ever change, or is it always Cap Formentor and Borrego Springs? I have now signed up for the 14 day free Premium trial, but each time I log in, those are the only two courses not marked as Premium only, whereas I'd have figured that would change from day to day.
4) I eventually worked out that when the power numbers go red, that's when RGT is auto applying the brakes cause you're going in to a corner too fast or about to collide with one of the bots. But is there anything I should do - is it worth stopping pedalling and then pushing hard after the corner/overtake, or does it not make a difference and I should continue putting out the same power and let the game deal with it?

I think RGT lacks a lot of the satellite websites that zwift has (zwiftpower, hacks insider etc)

Is https://rgtdb.com/ the best site for looking for events?

Can't help with much more but following with interest. The races are fun!

newts

Veteran
I'm as steverob above, just cancelled zwift. I've dabbled in rgt for a long time & think it may be my app of choice for next winter (or summer if the weather keeps up). If I stay on the free can I regularly join events?

steverob

Guru
I think RGT lacks a lot of the satellite websites that zwift has (zwiftpower, hacks insider etc)

Is https://rgtdb.com/ the best site for looking for events?

Can't help with much more but following with interest. The races are fun!
RGTDB might be exactly what I’m after (at least as far as question 1 is concerned). Out of interest is that an official site or a fan run one?

mjd1988

Guru
RGTDB might be exactly what I’m after (at least as far as question 1 is concerned). Out of interest is that an official site or a fan run one?

I'm not sure, there may be other websites that I haven't stumbled on. The login is different so potentially separate? @keithaitch ?

There's also the Facebook group

AndyMacca

It's run by a fan but he's working closely with RGT to get the data, a great effort really.
There's lot's more info on the FB groups
https://www.facebook.com/groups/roadgrandtoursusers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/140335630752089/?multi_permalinks=373778110741172

Of course their own site has lots of info too
https://www.rgtcycling.com/blog/

This thread charts our progress as we discovered RGT so the historical pages might b useful too, appreciate there's quite a few posts now and a lot are about RGT series we got involved in.

I think to use Magic roads as a solo rider you need the premium version which is about 7quid a month.
There's a page to tell you what you get for free and on premium
https://www.rgtcycling.com/faq/
The free courses dont change often if at all but you can still ride all the events listed in RGTDB and on the app. for free.

Yeah when you're coming up to a corner it's not worth pedaling as the watts don't get applied to the avatars behaviour, I tend to soft pedal and recover a bit, then as soon as it goes white (or you can pre-empt it going white) then mash the pedals again ^_^ With other riders yes they will block you if your relative speeds are similar and your power isn't indicating you want to push on past so when approaching another avatar you can push a bit harder to get your speed a bit higher and clearly indicate you want to pass, in this circumstance it wont auto-brake you and you should move out ans go past. If however you're in a big group drafting with them then auto-braking events can seem random and very frustrating, it's just part of the deal, you can lose 10kph and you need to push hard to get back on.

Hope that helps.RGT doesn't have as many features or depth as ZWIFT or even Bkool but it seems a bit more engaging. Good luck.

Top Bottom