Rholoff Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Always Cross

Veteran
I have a rholoff hub already in use with another bike. If I bought a folding bike could I fit the Rholoff hub to it in the future. Which folder would make the best tourer.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I hope it's a Rohloff and not some misspelled knockoff :smile:

Seriously though, it'll fit many folders. Subject, of course, to the usual provisos about having the right version to fit the frame- if it's different from the one on your other bike you'd need a new hub to the right spec. Kinetics for one do a Brommie with the Speedhub, Birdy do a Rohloff model, Dahons have been fitted with them (not as standard, by buyers)....Plenty of people tour on Brommies, there's the Dahon Speed TR (discontinued but frequently on eBay), other Dahon (and Tern) models will take racks....

Usually it is not that simple. Rohloffs are big and bulky for folders.

There is also the problem of an anchor to fix the hub, this can be a simple as a properly places bolt in the dropout or it may need an arm which could affect the fold.

There is also the problem with fittingthe cables, as one option really needs a v brake mount, or you need the "Clickbox"

As above Kinetics have an Kinetics] excellent guide to some of the options

I have 5 bikes now with Rohloffs and the bolt with Clickbox is the most common

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
To ask a silly question: if you really want a folder with a Rohloff, why not just buy a folder with a Rohloff (or Alfine 8/Alfine 11)? After all, if you like the Rohloff presumably you'd be happy having more than one bike with one onboard?

OP
OP
Always Cross

Always Cross

Veteran
I've got a Dawes Galaxy and a Rohloff Treking bike at the moment. So I wanted to get a folder for commuting ie lift to work and cycle home (11.5 miles to 18 miles depending how energeic I feel). I use the Dawes and treking bike both ways normaly the folder would help me avoid the icy roads in the morning at 5am. In the future eventually the Dawes and Treking bike will go and I'll keep the folder with the Rohloff as my last bike.

Top Bottom