Ribble Hybrid AL-e (Fully loaded version)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If Planet X don't get back to me within a week or so regarding an order I have with them, I will find myself with space & finance for one of these - even better as I could get it on cycle to work for a very good price as a partial retirement present to myself. I've not seen anyone on here mention they have one, but I would like to have anybody's experience of the Mahle X35 motor and the control system that is also fitted to other bikes.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-e-fully-loaded/

The other question is blue or copper?
(and yes, I am aware of the very long expected delivery time of August)

Joffey

Big Dosser
Blue for me :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
That's some whacky chainstay design! Is that common on e-bikes?

Lovely looking bike especially for an "E", I often think they can look a bit fugly but that's very elegant. The copper colour is very lovely but then that colour always appeals to me.

We've got 2 CGR ALe in the fleet and they're terrific bikes, using the X35 motor. The 3 assist levels are completely customisable with the smartphone app (which has just been updated) within the maximum power outputs of each of the settings, so you can manage the tradeoff between range and assist. For example, you might set the lowest level (green) to output 50% of it's own max, just to compensate for the slight weight penalty of the motor and battery (it's still the lightest system out there), put the middle level (orange) at 75% of it's max but leave the highest assist (red) at 100% for fun, emergencies and super-steep hills.

The 'IWOC' button situated at the front of the top tube really is all you need and you will get the hang of it straight away: one press to wake it up (at which point it flashes green/amber/red/white to show you the current assist level) then each subsequent press scrolls you to the next assist level, with red (maximum) taking you back to zero and back round again. In simple terms, if you want to make life easier, press the button twice. (unless you're in 'red' max mode, in which case the rest is up to you! Honestly, it's easier to use than it is to describe

The button also acts as your battery level meter when you're not changing assist levels, showing constant white/green/amber/red for >75%/>50%/>25%/<25% battery levels.

You can also have the assist adjust automatically to your heart rate if you use an HRM. You can still get a proper max heart-rate workout if you want one, you will just travel a lot further in the process!

The torque from the motor is not as impactful as a mid-drive unit, which can give you quite a startlingly punchy boost - it kicks in more calmly, like having an invisible hand in the back from an incredibly powerful rider, which makes it feel a lot more natural. At the risk of offending eMTBers it's much more of an enhanced pushbike than an electric motorbike!

@Jenkins If you're ever near the Thames Riviera you're welcome to come have a play. :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That's some whacky chainstay design! Is that common on e-bikes?

Lovely looking bike especially for an "E", I often think they can look a bit fugly but that's very elegant. The copper colour is very lovely but then that colour always appeals to me.
The chainstay is common on a lot of gravel bikes these days, it helps with fitting bigger tyres and more clearence.

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks to all so far, especially @Specialeyes for the offer of a test ride, but I'm on the Orwell Riviera, not the Thames.

It's a nice and flat(ish) area for the commute but it can get quite breezy by the coast, so I'm not after high levels of assist. A 'proper' gearing system instead of the automatic one on the Van Moof (love the quirky looks 'though) I tried last year and that it comes fully equipped with mudguards & rack are what appeals. With a couple of changes to the standard spec I can get it on Cycle to Work for a touch under £1700.

Nice bike !

CXRAndy

Guru
Between the two standard colours, I would go copper. However they do custom, so would go something more funky. Lots of metal flake, pearl etc. An orange, red, purple or copper.

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Between the two standard colours, I would go copper. However they do custom, so would go something more funky. Lots of metal flake, pearl etc. An orange, red, purple or copper.
I'd love to upgrade it in their Custom Colour option to be in the same metallic British Racing Green with yellow highlights as the Endurance 725 disc that they do, but that's a bit too spendy - I'll be sticking with copper or blue
25_steel_greenyellow_105_disc_levelbars___side-web.png

Top Bottom