Ribble or Giant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The Giant looks to pretty sold out , bar the L at a warehouse

The Ribble looks to be in stock but watch out for option list-itus

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ribble are known to offer good VFM and Giant are famous for putting effort into well developed models and getting things right. I wouldn't make a choice based purely on the spec list. If you can give them a try. What about frame warranty? Decathlon do some very competitively priced model at this price point and offer a lifetime warranty on their frames.

Be aware that in a few months the cost could increase.

Last edited:

nickAKA

Über Member
Ribble are doing a 'factory outlet clearance' this coming Saturday - it's instore only, first come first served, but if you're anywhere near Preston and want a bargain (from £250 up) it's worth getting there early. Link -

http://ribblecycles.co.uk/media/marketing-pdf/Ribble-List-of-Bikes.pdf?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=31JUL - UK ONLY - Warehouse Sale - Teaser - A/B&utm_content=A&utm_term=UK BASE - ALL SUBSCRIBERS

(assuming they have something in the correct size of course)

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd incline towards the Giant, on the the basis that they're masters at extracting the best performance from each price point. However, Ribble are pretty decent spec for the pride if that's your thing, although that doesn't automatically bring a quality ride.

Probably the best bet is a test ride. You can't make an authorititative decision on the basis of a spec sheet.

gmw492

Veteran
Thanks I cant get there for the start time, I dont drive and I've got things on at home, but thanks anyway for that.
I went in Ribble today to view a few bikes and had the same idea of going in Saturday for the factory clearance sale, on the way in 2 customers were leaving saying see you Saturday and when in the shop one employee showing a customer a Grand Fondo told her 3 bikes have already been sold to staff and they are expecting 300-400 people on Saturday, I have deceided to give it a miss

gmw492

Veteran
Thats a lot of people, did you see anything you fancied?
Did the bikes look nice?
Yes I thought that too , he said that’s what they were expecting, yes I quite liked the R872 bike they have it cheaper in silver but do prefer the black , Merlin close to Ribble also had some nice bikes on show too

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I know I was just struck with what a good deal it was.
Would the XXS be too small? Although Ridley do come up on the larger size I believe. Says 162 cm or less, but has a 51.5 TT? I don't personally consider standover as I never do...reach is where it's at for me

Ashcycles have some great deals on past model Giant Avails, e.g.

https://www.ashcycles.com/site/liv-...avail-1-2016?zenid=hcc2b7v9i3amohv3m26tm7bia0

Or with discs (the fab Spyres, so you can have crosslevers if reach and hand size an issue with chunky 105 brifters)
https://www.ashcycles.com/site/liv-...-1-disc-2016?zenid=hcc2b7v9i3amohv3m26tm7bia0

Last edited:
Top Bottom