Ribble Sportive Ultegra Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I've been meaning to upgrade my sons road bike for a while now, the CF frame deserves a bit more than the humble 9 speed Sora we bought it with. I had some Ultegra 10 Speed 6600 stuff in the garage so over the last couple of months I've searched eBay and managed to build up a complete groupset.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
No dramas stripping the bike, everything came off without any fuss and because the 6600 is similar to the Sora it was a very easy swap over, I even managed with some fiddling to use the existing lever clamps so I didn't have to fit new bar tape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The cassette was a bit of a sod to remove but a breaker bar got it loose, the Ultegra 10 speed cassette is a lovely bit of kit, much lighter.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Whilst apart I cleaned the frame and wheels. it looks great! took me about 2 1/2 hours, so not a long job. The Sora groupset will be cleaned up and used to build a dedicated turbo trainer bike (my Son is fed up with his Sister scratching his bike on the TT!) with another Aluminium Ribble frame I've just bought. So now a shower, some well earned lunch and then a test ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Nice test ride this afternoon, just a couple of miles, took an Allen key and screwdriver with me and with a mixture of cable tension and micro adjustments it now all shifts sweetly (smooth downshifts are the hardest to dial in), It will need doing again after a couple of hundred miles as the cables stretch, but I'm very pleased with it, the shifting is nice and precise, a big improvement on the rather basic Sora set up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom