Ribble: Too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That Ribble R872 will be stiff!

Good bikes - you need to look at the headtubes which differ. The R872 has a relatively shorter headtube than the tourers (which have a more relaxed riding geometry).

OP
OP
Mapster1989

Mapster1989

Keep it up with the photo's. I think Ribble may just have another customer.

That Ribble R872 will be stiff!

Good bikes - you need to look at the headtubes which differ. The R872 has a relatively shorter headtube than the tourers (which have a more relaxed riding geometry).
Very stiff. Touted as one for racing or short sportives. Though as always with tyre pressure and tyre choice the ride can be easily adjusted.
There is plenty of fork should you wish to ride it higher. I think mine will be close to slammed as this is the very reason for buying this frame. Race geometry.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I can't recall the geometry off the top of my head but would be looking for a HT around 140mm, with a TT of around 545... I know Ribble sizing or the descriptions are a bit wierd though. I'll have another proper look this evening. Will be described as a 50, most likely.

Edit: Just checked and the '50' is right.

RE: the BB30 adapter - would it make much difference to order the standard one and do Ribble fit it, do you know? I'm sure they do one for about a tenner...

I can't recall the geometry off the top of my head but would be looking for a HT around 140mm, with a TT of around 545... I know Ribble sizing or the descriptions are a bit wierd though. I'll have another proper look this evening. Will be described as a 50, most likely.

Edit: Just checked and the '50' is right.

RE: the BB30 adapter - would it make much difference to order the standard one and do Ribble fit it, do you know? I'm sure they do one for about a tenner...
I was all set to order the 50cm but Ribble recommended 52.5cm based on my measurements. So i looked again in more detail and they were right. Suppose they would know their own bike sizing better than i would.

I am 5'11" and 33" inseam.

The FSA (Ribble one) adaptor is irreversible. They also do not fit it as you need access to the BB area to route the cables.
I just routed the cables today and can confirm that without this access you would be screwed!!
Upon speaking to Ribble customer service i was informed that this wasn't the best option anyway. They do fit them to their finished bikes though which seems an odd admission.

I fitted the Praxis works adaptor today and it is seriously smooth. Looks the part too. Made a press tool with some threaded rod, two big 2" washers and a few nuts. £3 from local diy. Pressed the BB no bother. You then thread the other sid. It's a 5 minute job max.

standalone

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Loving it!
When you say that you feel the road... do you think you will be uncomfortable if spending more than a cpl of hours on it or just that it doesn't soak up bumps as much as other bikes? Typically I tend to do a lot of 4 hour rides on both Sat & Sun and although I realise this isn't really designed for all day comfort, I wouldn't want it to kill me on a 80 mile ride, either.

It does look mighty sweet :tongue:

Build was pretty straight forward and hugely enjoyable. Praxis works adaptor made the BB30 situation a no brainer. Highly recommend. The Dura ace and Ultegra mix work very well together. Don't have a final weight yet but i'd guess in the region of 7.5kg's with pedals and cage (when fitted).
Have 148 photos but will just add them to my user album and post a link. Easier that way. Will try do it tonight.

Loving it!
When you say that you feel the road... do you think you will be uncomfortable if spending more than a cpl of hours on it or just that it doesn't soak up bumps as much as other bikes? Typically I tend to do a lot of 4 hour rides on both Sat & Sun and although I realise this isn't really designed for all day comfort, I wouldn't want it to kill me on a 80 mile ride, either.

It does look mighty sweet :tongue:
I would ride it for long durations yes. I have 23mm tubulars on it so there isn't much give there. It will take 25's easy which would dampen the road plenty. I also have my tyres at 110psi and the roads around here suck. In comparison to the De Rosa idol it is stiff but the De Rosa is all about comfort. Will let you know more as i ride it more. First impressions are somewhat raw.
My overall impressions are very favourable!!

Top Bottom