Ribble valley/Yorkshire Dales ride, Sat 22nd June, 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi y'all.

@Sea of vapours and I have been planning our annual summer Yorkshire Dales ride. As usual, we are looking for other CycleChat riders to come and join us.

SoV is much fitter than me so I can safely say that we will be going no faster than my average speed, which is likely to be around 15 km/h (9.5 m/h). I'd prefer not to ride much slower than that because it would end up a very long day if we did!

The ride has traditionally taken place in July but SoV is booked up in July this year so we have brought it forward to Saturday, 22nd June. (NB We have the 29th in reserve in case we get terrible weather on the earlier date.)

Another change this year - instead of doing the whole ride in the Dales, the official ride will start from the BACK of the railway station in Clitheroe, and finish IN FRONT of the railway station. I am aiming for a 10:00 departure from there.

If you started and finished in Clitheroe then you would be riding 124 km (77 miles). I, however, will be riding to the start from Todmorden so I can get 161 km in (equivalent to an imperial century). It is a lot simpler for me not having to worry about transport to the start. (I will catch a train home from Clitheroe after the ride.) If you like the sound of the longer ride then we could meet in Tod at 08:00 and ride out to the official start together.

SoV will be riding towards the start from home and we aim to meet at Rathmell. If that would be more convenient for you, then let us know and make sure that you are there by 11:15 to meet us around 11:30.

The route is less hilly than our usual Dales rides but it still has an estimated 1,800 m of ascent (nearly 6,000 ft), some very steep, so it really isn't a ride for beginners. You should be confident of getting round a route like this without excessive suffering or delay, and for that confidence to be based on your experience of similar rides not on wishful thinking! :okay: (I like to be inclusive where possible, but I wouldn't want you to end up stuck in Grassington unable to face the ride back! :laugh:)

Rough map of the route (to be ridden clockwise):

Ribble Valley Dales 2019.png

Elevation profile:

Ribble Dales 2019 elevation profile.png

We will have a cafe stop at Burnsall, halfway round.

If you like the sound of the ride, express your interest below.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-1_14-55-24.png
    upload_2019-4-1_14-55-24.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Clitheroe Grassington Clitheroe - clockwise loop 124 km.gpx
    27.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Count me in for this one, Colin. Looks a great route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

:okay: All things being equal I will mosey on down to Clitheroe and come along. Will almost certainly train it to Clitheroe and break for home at Appletreewick.
The train gets in just before 10am.
Sounds like a plan!

Which way would you go home from Appletreewick - via Ilkley and Otley, or the more strenuous and scenic way - Greenhow and Blubberhouses?

colly

Re member eR
Sounds like a plan!

Which way would you go home from Appletreewick - via Ilkley and Otley, or the more strenuous and scenic way - Greenhow and Blubberhouses?
Depends on weather and depends on whether (I'm too tired) ^_^

It would be around 75/80 milesfor me for the day if I took the direct route back through Ilkley and Otley.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[Excuse to bump thread in seemingly futile attempt to persuade people to join us in cycling round some wonderful countryside?]

That's good, colly - see you in Clitheroe!

[/Excuse to bump thread in seemingly futile attempt to persuade people to join us in cycling round some wonderful countryside?]
:whistle: :okay:

colly

Re member eR
Early days yet @ColinJ , early days.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This isn't what I was going to post ...

I will update the GPX file later to show the ride starting from the back of Clitheroe station and finishing at the front, since there is no bridge to cross the lines!

While I am at it, @Oldfentiger - Phil, this is a local ride that you might be interested in dipping into? Oh, and since @oldfatfool also popped up while I was tagging Phil - Andrew, do you fancy joining us again this year? (Hopefully being able to stay with us for longer this time!)

Top Bottom