Rice cookers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not sure if it is safe for me to post this.
I just use a microwave. Measure the dry rice into a bowl and add water till about one inch above the rice. 3 or 4 minutes then take out and fluff up and let stand for a few minutes then back in for another few minutes then leave to stand again. It usually ends up just as I want it after standing but if too wet give another couple of minutes.
Some might regard my cooking as a bit slapdash but it works as I learned from a very good cook of the same style.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Not sure if it is safe for me to post this.
I just use a microwave. Measure the dry rice into a bowl and add water till about one inch above the rice. 3 or 4 minutes then take out and fluff up and let stand for a few minutes then back in for another few minutes then leave to stand again. It usually ends up just as I want it after standing but if too wet give another couple of minutes.
Some might regard my cooking as a bit slapdash but it works as I learned from a very good cook of the same style.
Somebody hold him down while I slap him with a Ken Hom dish cloth. Heathen.

I used to get the Ebly wheat for salads but it’s expensive and may not even be available anymore (seemed to be a Waitrose exclusive in some stores, going back a few years), I like brown rice but cooking it is an arse and takes forever, I like meals to be done and dusted in 30 minutes (I sometimes buy the cooked micro sachets but they’re hardly inexpensive either!)
brown rice i use takes 20 to 30 mins.
Can't help wonder if you are too focussed on your "tender" target. Brown rice shouldn't be tender. Leave the final tenderising to your guts - it's good for them.

By the by, on the absorption method, cooking rice for one I tend to use a small Trangia 27 pan with a lid on. Once it's come to the boil (takes no time with such a small amount of water) it can be left to simmer on a very low gas. I usually use brown rice.

Spartak