Rice Creamola

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well I've got all the ingredients now except the ground rice :tongue: That couldn't be found in my local supermarket :?:

Mrs 26x25 suggested I pulverise some pudding rice in a blender :thumbsup: I might give it a go. Or I might try another supermarket :?:

Anyway the anticipation is marvellous ;)

ash68

well your one step ahead of me, was in a bit of a rush this afternoon and didn't get to the shops:sad:. Have to wait 'til next weekend now:angry: just hope it tastes like the real thing after all this:smile:. mmmmmmmm, it's gonna be a long week.

ash68

yeh, got round to making a bowl of the stuff myself tonight. don't think I got the measurements quite right, but still tasted great. The taste took me back to being a kid again:smile:. Right down to the carnation milk on top. :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I remember Creamola Foam Crystals very well. Dad was talking to our new neighbour at front door. Younger brother snotted in my Creamola. I (loudly) told him to F*** Off!. The only time my dad ever hit me! (well, a kick up the jacksy) :smile::sad::biggrin:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
ash68 said:
yeh, got round to making a bowl of the stuff myself tonight. don't think I got the measurements quite right, but still tasted great. The taste took me back to being a kid again:smile:. Right down to the carnation milk on top. :huh:

OOOH - Haven't tried the carnation tho' :tongue:

Yeah it's two of ground rice to one of custard powder then sugar to taste. One pint of milk if the "two" is of Tablespoon.

I've yet to replicate the lumps my Mum was so good at :wacko:

jules

Hi all, I found your site today when I was browsing and googled "creamola". This came about 'cos I'm redoing my kitchen and whilst clearing out my cupboards I came across an unopened (and apparently out of date" packet of creamola, which I remembered my brother buying for me quite a while ago! As an experiment I opened it and made a dish up and much to my delight and surprise found it to be exactly as I remember it tasting! Mm yum! I've transferred the contents to an airtight container, and had thrown the packet into the recycle paper bin but now seeing as there's so much nostalgia surrounding this delicious pud, will fish it out for posterity!

I joined this forum just to let you fellow "creamolians" out there know!

Jules

Ps does anyone remember another pudding, it was a kind of fruit soup that was a bit apply and spicey that came in a packet dried, possibly German, that Liptons used to sell?

Jules

120craig

Hi i loved creamola as a kid and had it as an adult probably 7 years ago but i dont remember putting it into an oven after cooking it on the hob like the recipie shows.Can someone tell me if the original did need to be oven cooked.
I also remember having a tinned custard dessert as a kid in the 70s/80s it was like a purple colour and you use to cut the label off and it had puzzles and jokes on the back and possibly a picture to colour in.Can anyone else remember it and tell me what it was called.

Regards Craig

wafflycat

I remember Creamola. A yellow, vanilla flavoured dessert made with ground rice & milk. Very sweet, very thick. I used to love it.

I still do like ground rice. MrW loathes it, so as an *occasional* personal treat, I'll make myself a pudding of ground rice, milk, sugar (sweetener these days), vanilla essence - all cooked together (stirred in a pan over heat until ground rice absorbs all the liquid to form a sticky, sweet, vanilla heaven). Glorious on a cold day.

Wolf04

Not only do I remember it, I have been known to still enjoy it. It has been a couple of years since I last indulged but it's still available I believe.
:birthday:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not to be mixed up with Creamola Foam Crystals, of course... :birthday:
706067542a5087175470l.jpg

papercorn2000

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh! Rice pudding makes me puke!

It represents the very worst of institutional cuisine. I am forever haunted by being made to eat rice pudding by a nurse when I was in hospital at 4 years old. It made me sick. She also made me eat scrambled eggs - same league of horribleness!

Wolf04

Still available in places according to the interweb. or you could make your own.
Homemade Creamola:
Ingredients
2 heaped tablespoons of ground rice
1 rounded tablespoon of custard powder
1 dessertspoon of raw cane sugar or white sugar if desired
half teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 pint (500ml) milk (skimmed, semi or full-fat but not soya or re-constituted powder)
butter or margarine
ground nutmeg to garnish
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom