Richard's 40th birthday - what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My lovely husband turns 40 this summer and we're trying to think of something to do to mark the occasion. Some kind of spectacular, a challenge, something that he can say he 'did' when he turned 40. He's climbed Kilimanjaro, he's done the Pennine Way, he's done the British Three Peaks - these are the kind of thing we'd usually think of.

What else could he do? I've put forward cycling LeJog but that's more because I fancy it than he does :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Buy him some flying lessons.
Mrs Ian did that for me one year (3 lessons) and absolutely loved it.
Though didn't take it any further as the cost of a PPL is about 7 grand.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Light aircraft flight? Bodyflight at Bedford? http://www.bodyflight.co.uk/?gclid=CNO1j6TflKECFQZslAod5C0ePQ

A weekend in Casablanca or Paris? I know - train to London then Eurostar to Paris? I went to have a look at St Pancras last week and it is the most stunningly beautiful and romantic railway terminus I've ever seen; a fitting place to start a romantic journey. They just need to remove that crude and vulgar couple embracing statue.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If 22nd May wouldn't be too soon, how about tackling The Old 240? That is just over 400 km so call it 10km/year!

If it is too soon, perhaps he could do it as a 'permanent' on his birthday?

It's a ride that I'd love to do but I'm just not fit enough.

(The Spurn Head 400 is an easier alternative ride on the same day.)

HelenD123

Guru
ColinJ said:
If 22nd May wouldn't be too soon, how about tackling The Old 240? That is just over 400 km so call it 10km/year!

If it is too soon, perhaps he could do it as a 'permanent' on his birthday?

It's a ride that I'd love to do but I'm just not fit enough.

(The Spurn Head 400 is an easier alternative ride on the same day.)

I was going to suggest a 400k audax as well. One of my colleagues did the one organised by Hull CTC for her 50th birthday. She ran the London Marathon for her 40th. This year's 400k is on 3 July. If it's the same route as last year it starts and ends and the Humber Bridge, does a loop north, back to the bridge then a loop south. The overnight element adds to the challenge.

I know what I'd do, and it would involve booking something through these people (African Travel Resource). You have to have a few bob though!

mangaman

HelenD123 said:
I was going to suggest a 400k audax as well. One of my colleagues did the one organised by Hull CTC for her 50th birthday. She ran the London Marathon for her 40th. This year's 400k is on 3 July. If it's the same route as last year it starts and ends and the Humber Bridge, does a loop north, back to the bridge then a loop south. The overnight element adds to the challenge.

I was going to suggest the Marathon.

Really we need more info I feel ;)

Is he a 400km Audax type chap, a runner, does he like extreme sports?

We want him to have some fun as well as a challenge

TVC

I'm with CP on the Steam Train Driving bit, got it for Mrs VC last year, biggest grin I've ever seen on her face.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Actually reaching 40 is an achievement!

organise a very big party (with all his long lost friends in cycling fancy dress?) - get him very, very drunk; then combining other posts - next day he's in charge of arthur whilst doing a 400k audax finishing off with a parachute jump :laugh:

Top Bottom