Richmond Park idiots.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was just talking to someone about the route I tend to use, to get into London. He was talking about the fact that the Met are responsible for policing the speed limits. That reminded me of an incident that happened a few weeks ago as I was riding through. I passed a rider on the climb up to the top of Sawyers hill, as I did, he muttered something under his breath, and tried ( but failed ) to catch me up. As I was getting to the top, and heading for the descent to the exit, I clocked a fully marked police car, coming in the opposite direction. I was then very careful to watch my speed on the descent. Who comes barrelling past me, overtaking the car in front of me in the process, at well over the speed limit, in the full knowledge that there are police about? That’s right, the guy I passed climbing the hill a few minutes earlier:laugh:. Personally I wouldn’t do what he did, even if there wasn’t a speed limit there, and plod about, just because of the deer, if for no other reason. It did make me chuckle.

southcoast

Über Member
I used to regularly ride and train around Richmond park, many years ago when it was a still 30 mph speed limit. What gear ratio where you using to climb sawyers hill?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I agree it can be full of idiots, especially Sunday mornings which is why I avoid the place. And 'Sawyers Hill' isn't really a hill, more of an undulation...

I don't understand why they are idiots. Do police regularly speed check vehicles coming towards them while they are moving? It's theoretically doable, but is it a thing? It would require recording the exact speed they are travelling at and adding it the simultaneous radar recording.

As for deer, assuming it was daylight, coming down Sawyer's Hill, you have a panoramic view. Unless there are deer close to the road, or moving towards the road, it's pretty safe to assume you can let it rip. The biggest risk is - on a Sunday afternoon - parents coming back from the ballet school approaching the roundabout at the bottom of the hill from your right. Also cyclists, at any time. Deer, not some much, unless they a visible from the top or with plenty of warning as you ride down.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At quieter times, when the team kit hordes have gone home, Richmond Park is great fun. The biggest hazard that I've found is the ridged tarmac as you descend Broomfield Hill at speed. Your teeth rattle and your eyeballs wobble in their sockets. People regularly go down there at speeds approaching 40 mph. I haven't, but I confess to not sticking to anything like the 20mph limit.

mustang1

Guru
I'm gonna get an e-bike and goto Richmond park .I'm going to troll all those cyclists and watch them call me a "cheater".

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I may be wrong, but I thought there were specific by-laws concerning cycle speed limits in Richmond Park.

si_c

Guru
Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles, so you can't be "done" for speeding on ordinary roads. But there are, or may be, some specific speed limits that apply inside some parks. I've read that on here, so it may not be true. Richmond Park may or may not be one such.

The police could still pull you over for speeding and give you a talking to, and generally make your life uncomfortable. Even worse, a passer by may see you and be almost-killed by you, and will angrily rush to the nearest phone in.
Royal Parks (of which Richmond Park is one) have additional statutes such that they specifically treat pedal cycles the same as other road vehicles, and they are consequently subject to the same speed limits.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Royal Parks (of which Richmond Park is one) have additional statutes such that they specifically treat pedal cycles the same as other road vehicles, and they are consequently subject to the same speed limits.
Do the speed limits apply to The Queen as they're her parks? I assume she can ride her bike as fast as she likes around them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How can a speed limit be enforced on a vehicle that has no legal requirement to be fitted with a speedometer?

They use a radar trap, they don't look over your shoulder at your Garmin at 30 mph. Being serious, you are responsible for ensuring that you are within the law and you must take reasonable care that you comply with the law - for example, by fitting and using a speed measuring device, or simply by riding slowly.

It is still not clear if speed limits do apply in the parks to cyclists, people have paid fines for it. See https://road.cc/content/news/136752...-break-speed-limit-–-because-it-doesn’t-apply

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How can a speed limit be enforced on a vehicle that has no legal requirement to be fitted with a speedometer?
They use a radar trap, they don't look over your shoulder at your Garmin at 30 mph. Being serious, you are responsible for ensuring that you are within the law and you must take reasonable care that you comply with the law - for example, by fitting and using a speed measuring device, or simply by riding slowly.

THIS^^^ It isn't hard and the police are not going to be interested in someone accidently exceeding the limit by a couple of MPH and have better things to do so may just 'have a word'. However, if you cycle like a complete Worzel at excessive speed and then argue the toss when stopped I am sure they will take great delight in throwing the book at you.

Top Bottom