Ride 24 Newcastle to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Anyone done this before? Its 310ish miles in 24ish hours :unsure: and all I know about the route is that it goes thro York and Lincoln.

Was thinking of doing something epic to get me motivated to get back on the bike. :bicycle:

Just wondering how hilly it is. I'm presuming the first half is "do or die", the second half "and relax"

LocalLad

Don't think there will be much relax time .. 310 miles / 24 hours = 12.9mph average.

By the time you have a couple of stops, that's a high average over 24 hours...good luck!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I did a ride from Winchester a few years back with a couple who were planning on doing this. I don't think we ever heard if they'd managed it or not but I reckon it's a tough old ask. I tend to be knackered at the 250 miles in a day mark.

Also the "and relax" bit. My last day of LEL 2013 was from Kirton to Loughton, almost pancake flat. However it was around 30C and into a strong headwind for the whole way. My average dropped to 10mph and it was without a doubt the worst day of the whole thing. I've heard it dubbed "Hairdryer Day" by other riders as that's what it felt like you were riding into.

Diggs

Veteran
One of the guys who comes out on our social rides did it last year.
Saturday before last was the first time I'd seen him back on the bike!
He made it but said it was quite challenging (I'm paraphrasing)

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Haha I saw a photo of last year's ride today...

The caption was "at least the hills in York aren't too bad "

They were clearly being sarcastic. :ohmy:

Ran it by my boss today. He said... no way.. he didn't want gender reassignment LOL

I may give it a miss after all. I think in all honesty I could do the distance if I trained for it but not in the time required, I'm more stamina over speed type of person and I don't think I could average 15mph for a whole 24 hours and, as said, the second half might be flat but bound to have a head wind.

LocalLad

Why not aim to do it in a sensible way? Maybe over 3 days, get a mate to support and perhaps get others involved

Top Bottom