Ride around (a bit of ) the coast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as it seems to be en vogue to postulate about a ride, I thought I'd float this - literally and possibly physically.

How about a ride starting from Whitstable, hopping on the Crab and Winkle Way to Canterbury, then zig zagging on quiet roads down to Dover, following the cliff tops to Deal, diverting inland a bit to Sandwich (possibly for a bite to eat), then heading off for the Viking boat at Pegswell, then along the coastline to Ramsgate, Broadstairs, round the horn of Kent to Margate, and then basically along the sea wall all the way back to Whitstable.

70 miles, less than 2,500 ft of climbing (and almost all of that in the first third of the ride). Could work as a day ride (although a couple of short sections would have to be walked during the daytime), or ride it at night, provided people don't veer too far to the right (which is always sensible advice).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sounds good. But isn't that a bit flat for one of your rides? :smile:

U

User10571

FWIW I have for the best part of two years been thinking about organising a ride around the Kent coast.
Errrr... All of it.
Starting somewhere around Rye and finishing at Dartford (ish) or maybe Greenwich..
I think it is doable - but would require B&B or somesuch the night before embarking.
London trains do not lend themselves to being in Rye for a reasonable start time....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
FWIW I have for the best part of two years been thinking about organising a ride around the Kent coast.
Errrr... All of it.
Starting somewhere around Rye and finishing at Dartford (ish) or maybe Greenwich..
I think it is doable - but would require B&B or somesuch the night before embarking.
Trains do not lend themselves to being in Rye for a reasonable start time....

That is a top idea User10571.
Good thing I have a friend who lives just outside of Rye...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Have a close look at the Dover to Deal section, there is a section of "cycle path" that involves hundreds of yards of steps from sea level to the top of the cliffs. Terrible. The road alternative is busy with hundreds of huge lorries straight off the ferries. Go on the roads inland, or better take the train from Dover to the next stop and avoid both. And the section through Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Margate is full of pedestrians. One highlight of this route would be in Margate, where you could play "spot the heroin addict" with one point per spot. Avoid the people with fighting dogs in that section.

U

User10571

Have a close look at the Dover to Deal section, there is a section of "cycle path" that involves hundreds of yards of steps from sea level to the top of the cliffs. Terrible. The road alternative is busy with hundreds of huge lorries straight off the ferries. Go on the roads inland, or better take the train from Dover to the next stop and avoid both. And the section through Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Margate is full of pedestrians. One highlight of this route would be in Margate, where you could play "spot the heroin addict" with one point per spot. Avoid the people with fighting dogs in that section.
Taken on board. The area you refer to is one I am wholly unfamiliar with.
You've a soft spot for Margate then?

"And the section through Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Margate is full of pedestrians"
You paint a dark (and unfounded) picture there, Martin.
Do that on an August Bank Holiday or any sunny Sunday and, yes, you'll be walking or riding at walking pace (which is pretty much the same thing) in a few places. Particularly through Broadstairs, where the cycle route is through a pedestrianised section of sea front by Viking Bay.
Any other time, you'll generally be fine.
I've done that ride three times on my own since the last bank hol, and it is not the 'mare you make it out to be. I wouldn't ride it if it was.
NB IME A group of cyclists riding in front of the beach huts attracts more opprobrium from those that have occupied most of the prom with wind breaks, inflatables and plastic furniture than a solo cyclist riding slowly does. I have ridden along there as a foursome and been on the receiving end of far more grief than when I rode it on my own.
The hilarity of it is that there are occasional cars parked along the prom which, I am under no doubt whatsoever, were pushed to their parking spots by the owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Errrr... All of it.
Trains do not lend themselves to being in Rye for a reasonable start time....
Excellent idea.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I think it was 4 years ago we got shouted at by the grumpy people in the beach huts. :ohmy:

I had initially thought about extending it, such as starting from Ashford, then heading down towards Rye or Dungeness and riding around to Whitstable, but then you have the extra expense of 2 different train journeys.

But a Whitstable start and end point works well, so I think this would be nice as a daytime Christmas/New Year ride, and then next year as a night time ride. And there are ways between Dover & Deal which don't involve the A258 or steps down to the sea.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Interested in both. Got somewhere to stay near Rye (although actually considering moving down there but that won't be a for a while)

martint235

Dog on a bike
You're a bit young to be considering retiring, aren't you??
Not sure. Got me glasses, listen to Radio 2 a lot.....

I'm thinking of moving into the gap between Ashford and Rye somewhere so I can still commute fairly easily. Tis little more than a first discussion at this stage.

Top Bottom