1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ride of Silence

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Debade, 11 Jan 2017.

1. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

In case you are not aware of the global Ride of Silence. My wife organizes our ride in a fairly small town in CT, USA. It is our third year in our current town (we moved) and were hoping not to have to include another local cyclist to the list of unfortunate accidents. But, there was another accident earlier this year.

Here is the link in case you are not aware of this event. No cost to participants. The pace is slow, ride is short, and it is all done in silence. We are foirtunate to get the police to help (a police officer was killed riding home a few years ago) us for free and the Mayor who does absolutely nothing for bicyling in terms of infrastructure, has showned up for this event. We just publicize it at bike stores, FB, clubs, etc. Happens in May around the world on the same day. http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

It's disappointing to see that helmets are mandatory. Is that a requirement of local laws or the organisers?

mjr likes this.
  3. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

Yes the helmets are suppose to be part of the ride, as far as I know. You could reach out to them if you feel it is something that would not work for your ride.

4. subaqua

subaqua Guru

not wishing to be flippant in a post about a cyclist being killed but 0bb4c1e72ac11c6db7bb7a28fbefed0b.jpg

Attached Files:

Markymark likes this.
  5. jefmcg

jefmcg Guru

I think this is a terrible idea. What message does it send? That cycling is a very dangerous activity, which it isn't. Things like this do nothing for cycling, and would only discourage people from taking it up.

A memorial ride for an individual? Sure. A protest "die-in" after a spate of fatalities as they did in London? Makes sense to me. But a world wide movement to mark how many people die cycling? That makes no sense. A slow cycle for all the people who die of cardiovascular disease because of a life of inactivity would send a better message.

flake99please, mjr, srw and 2 others like this.
  6. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

I grew up in Detroit at the height of Motown, so maybe it is OK for me to say reach out :smile:?

Stinboy, Bimble, CarlP and 3 others like this.
  7. subaqua

subaqua Guru

not unless you were a member of the 4 tops ;)

Debade likes this.
  8. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

I can appreciate your view but my experience is it brings attention to the needs of cyclists. For example, before we started the ride in our town, the Mayor did not think about cycling. This along with other events have put bicycling on his agenda.

The event also makes the local newspaper suggesting to motorists safe approaches they can employ to make cyclists safe. Also, depending on the article, reminders such as the 3 foot law (1 meter) for passing is included, etc. Finally, I think it also demonstrates to cyclists who learn about the accidents that accidents do happen and there are a group of people who plan to continue their cycling.

In two different towns where I have participated in this event over the last several years, I have done seen a negative from this event.

Slick likes this.
  9. Drago

Drago Throbbing Member

There is an especial irony in this case.

mjr likes this.
  10. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

It's not going to be easy to spot the people who don't cycle as a result of the scaremongering. If the aim is to get cycling on the mayor's agenda, try some big positive fun things. Like the Mayor of Cambridge now usually travels by cycle to open the Reach Village Fair:
    article20a.jpg

View: https://vimeo.com/165364204

Attached Files:

Drago likes this.