Ride of Silence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
In case you are not aware of the global Ride of Silence. My wife organizes our ride in a fairly small town in CT, USA. It is our third year in our current town (we moved) and were hoping not to have to include another local cyclist to the list of unfortunate accidents. But, there was another accident earlier this year.

Here is the link in case you are not aware of this event. No cost to participants. The pace is slow, ride is short, and it is all done in silence. We are foirtunate to get the police to help (a police officer was killed riding home a few years ago) us for free and the Mayor who does absolutely nothing for bicyling in terms of infrastructure, has showned up for this event. We just publicize it at bike stores, FB, clubs, etc. Happens in May around the world on the same day. http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In case you are not aware of the global Ride of Silence. My wife organizes our ride in a fairly small town in CT, USA.

It's disappointing to see that helmets are mandatory. Is that a requirement of local laws or the organisers?

Reactions: mjr

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes the helmets are suppose to be part of the ride, as far as I know. You could reach out to them if you feel it is something that would not work for your ride.

not wishing to be flippant in a post about a cyclist being killed but
0bb4c1e72ac11c6db7bb7a28fbefed0b.jpg

Attachments

• 0bb4c1e72ac11c6db7bb7a28fbefed0b.jpg
    0bb4c1e72ac11c6db7bb7a28fbefed0b.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 72
In case you are not aware of the global Ride of Silence. My wife organizes our ride in a fairly small town in CT, USA. It is our third year in our current town (we moved) and were hoping not to have to include another local cyclist to the list of unfortunate accidents. But, there was another accident earlier this year.

Here is the link in case you are not aware of this event. No cost to participants. The pace is slow, ride is short, and it is all done in silence. We are foirtunate to get the police to help (a police officer was killed riding home a few years ago) us for free and the Mayor who does absolutely nothing for bicyling in terms of infrastructure, has showned up for this event. We just publicize it at bike stores, FB, clubs, etc. Happens in May around the world on the same day. http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
I think this is a terrible idea. What message does it send? That cycling is a very dangerous activity, which it isn't. Things like this do nothing for cycling, and would only discourage people from taking it up.

A memorial ride for an individual? Sure. A protest "die-in" after a spate of fatalities as they did in London? Makes sense to me. But a world wide movement to mark how many people die cycling? That makes no sense. A slow cycle for all the people who die of cardiovascular disease because of a life of inactivity would send a better message.

OP
OP
D

Debade

Über Member
I think this is a terrible idea. What message does it send? That cycling is a very dangerous activity, which it isn't. Things like this do nothing for cycling, and would only discourage people from taking it up.

A memorial ride for an individual? Sure. A protest "die-in" after a spate of fatalities as they did in London? Makes sense to me. But a world wide movement to mark how many people die cycling? That makes no sense. A slow cycle for all the people who die of cardiovascular disease because of a life of inactivity would send a better message.
I can appreciate your view but my experience is it brings attention to the needs of cyclists. For example, before we started the ride in our town, the Mayor did not think about cycling. This along with other events have put bicycling on his agenda.

The event also makes the local newspaper suggesting to motorists safe approaches they can employ to make cyclists safe. Also, depending on the article, reminders such as the 3 foot law (1 meter) for passing is included, etc. Finally, I think it also demonstrates to cyclists who learn about the accidents that accidents do happen and there are a group of people who plan to continue their cycling.

In two different towns where I have participated in this event over the last several years, I have done seen a negative from this event.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's disappointing to see that helmets are mandatory. Is that a requirement of local laws or the organisers?
There is an especial irony in this case.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In two different towns where I have participated in this event over the last several years, I have done seen a negative from this event.
It's not going to be easy to spot the people who don't cycle as a result of the scaremongering. If the aim is to get cycling on the mayor's agenda, try some big positive fun things. Like the Mayor of Cambridge now usually travels by cycle to open the Reach Village Fair:
article20a.jpg

View: https://vimeo.com/165364204

Attachments

• article20a.jpg
    article20a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom