Ride on the road don't ride on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Our local Facebook page covering two villages. A post started off complaining about cyclists "wearing Hi Viz" cycling on the pavement. Much agreement before someone complained about cyclists especially the "Lycra Boys" riding on the road rather than on a very narrow and unsuitable shared path; again much agreement. You really couldn't make these things up.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having recently bought some black Hi-Vis vests I wonder what they'd say if I took to the pavements.

Are the shared paths the footpaths they other half are complaining about those in Hi-Vis using?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I can see the arguement about riding on the pavement. I cant see how they can complain about the viz vest. With regards to the shared paths. You should advise them about the law.

Slick

Guru
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I have done it, the latest was to get through 4 way traffic controlled road works, as the lights have not been set up with any consideration to cyclists. It's a 300 yard stretch on a 15 mile commute and it gets me through a pinch point safely so I reckon Facebook could go and do one either way for me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Our local Facebook page covering two villages. A post started off complaining about cyclists "wearing Hi Viz" cycling on the pavement. Much agreement before someone complained about cyclists especially the "Lycra Boys" riding on the road rather than on a very narrow and unsuitable shared path; again much agreement. You really couldn't make these things up.
Seems to me cyclists should not be riding on the pavement under any normal conditions whatever they wear.

Cyclists on the road? This is where we should and are entitled to be under all circumstances. If a cycle path or shared use path is available we have a choice to use it or not.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I have done it, the latest was to get through 4 way traffic controlled road works, as the lights have not been set up with any consideration to cyclists. It's a 300 yard stretch on a 15 mile commute and it gets me through a pinch point safely so I reckon Facebook could go and do one either way for me.
Sympathy with you on this one as it's a local beef with some temporary traffic control.

Do be wary though. At a four way lights I watched two cyclists ride through against red, forced a driver emerging from their left to stop very quickly and the guy behind in to what looked like a full emergency stop.

I asked the cyclists why the went against red. The reply was one of the workmen had told them "it was OK." Couldn't make that one up either.

• Wow
Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
Sympathy with you on this one as it's a local beef with some temporary traffic control.

Do be wary though. At a four way lights I watched two cyclists ride through against red, forced a driver emerging from their left to stop very quickly and the guy behind in to what looked like a full emergency stop.

I asked the cyclists why the went against red. The reply was one of the workmen had told them "it was OK." Couldn't make that one up either.
I would never go on the instruction of others and my usual solution is to wait my turn and where possible cycle in the coned area to allow faster traffic through but only where possible. If I have to keep traffic behind me, well that is just what I do. This particular set of lights and works are particularly tricky and the short sprint on the pavement is the safest way for me. I don't think we can ir should say there is no circumstances where cyclists shouldn't be able to seek refuge on a pavement where necessary.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
My take on this was not really the Hi Viz or Lycra (although non cyclists clearly see these as different groups) but more that they didn't want you on the pavement OR on the roads.

The shared path in question is a path that is designed when you are travelling on a Sustrans route east to west (or vice versa) it crosses the road but is offset but about a quarter of a mile so there is a shared path (terrible example of one) that follows the road for about that distance. Due to the path taking up a bit of road space over a narrow bridge they have installed traffic lights on the road. When travelling north / south there is no point in using the shared path (only on 1 side of the road anyway). However motorists think you should be on it rather than delay them at the lights and I have known cyclists abused for staying on the road and the facebook posts clearly support this. I have also known cyclists abused and even ending up being knocked off when using the very narrow shared path.

Top Bottom