Ride suggestions for Next Saturday 17th,please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The weather forecast is great for next weekend so I thought a nice ride out in my meandering way to possibly Dover perhaps from Herne Bay. Is there anything I really should see? Mainly quiet countryside roads and cycle routes where I come across them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bit confused by your post :wacko:
Are you inviting fellow forum members to join you for a ride from an uncertain start point to an undecided destination or, are you asking for route advice/suggestions?

This section of the forum is usually a place to publicise group rides you are organising.

If you are not in a huge rush I can recommend the Viking Coastal Trail - https://www.visitkent.co.uk/media/10407/vct-web-version.pdf
yes a wonderful route, some great coast and bays - though may be somewhat busy this weekend - which can be almost deserted.

If you do I can recommend a stop in Ramsgate on the sun terrace of the biggest spoons in the world.*

And just a short traffic free bikeride away is Pugin's very own church.

* here

edit - forgot - if you are into such things, the grave of Dante Gabriel Rossetti (he of the fondness for women with big lips) in the church at Birchington on Sea.

Margate - haunt of Turner, nice beach (good view of it from a small terrace at another spoons - (upstairs room can be nice and quiet, don't like downstairs) , Turner Art gallery (variable but interesting), some good cheapish fish and chips.
A bit inland a memorial marking the spot where St Augustine supposedly granted us the questionable gift of Christianity from the one true church, also a reproduction Viking ship.

Pic of Pegwell Bay from Tate Britain.

Last edited:
I've only ever gotten as far as Margate but will be sure to visit. Thanks.
No probs - in case you think I am just preoccupied with ecclesiastical matters on my cycling trips,

Another shot of the Ramsgate spoons Pavilion sun terrace

and a shot of Margate beach from the narrow terrace at the establishment there (no truth in rumours that Turner painted his golden views from there)

I was enjoying a couple of fine pints while recharging stuff - my bike locked just out of shot at a bike rack.

Top Bottom