England : Cumbria Ride to the Sun 2019 (Carlisle to Edinburgh 100 miles).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

Now an annual event, I did this one in 2017 and it was good (helped by nice weather and a slight tailwind).

If anyone is thinking about it, I would suggest getting travel arrangements sorted now. I've just booked my train ticket with cycle reservation (strictly 2 per train on Virgin trains) from Glasgow to Carlisle on the Saturday afternoon. Advance fare was £8.50, so not a great deal to lose if things (including the weather!) conspire to defeat my intentions between now and then. The training starts soon..... :ohmy:

bruce1530

Guru
That looks like a good event. I wonder.....

pjd57

Veteran
I'm planning on doing it.
Don't think I will manage to book Virgin train from Glasgow.
ScotRail local stopping train takes two hours so some rest and lunch on the journey.
Mentioned to my mate about getting home after it, Edinburgh to Glasgow , probably a couple of hours before the trains come on.

He reckons we should " just head home "

Only another 50 miles !

Good call on avoiding virgin if with a bike. I often take slower trains these days, roll up with bike, sit back and relax, pedal the rest of the way.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Brandane , you still planning on doing this? I've booked the scout transport from Crammond.
No; quite apart from the lack of match fitness and complete collapse of cycle mojo, I had forgotten that the date clashes with GF's birthday - and since this will be the first since we met, I figured it wouldn't be wise to take myself off for a night-shift on a bike!

So - as a result I now have available a single journey ticket complete with bike reservation on the 1600 hrs Virgin train service from Glasgow Central to Carlisle on Saturday 22nd June, arriving Carlisle just after 5pm.. If anyone is interested the cost will be a £10 donation to Cancer Research. Ticket will be posted to buyer; first come first served.
Good weather and tailwind now guaranteed for this event since I am not participating! :okay:

No; quite apart from the lack of match fitness and complete collapse of cycle mojo, I had forgotten that the date clashes with GF's birthday - and since this will be the first since we met, I figured it wouldn't be wise to take myself off for a night-shift on a bike!

So - as a result I now have available a single journey ticket complete with bike reservation on the 1600 hrs Virgin train service from Glasgow Central to Carlisle on Saturday 22nd June, arriving Carlisle just after 5pm.. If anyone is interested the cost will be a £10 donation to Cancer Research. Ticket will be posted to buyer; first come first served.
Good weather and tailwind now guaranteed for this event since I am not participating! :okay:

A wise move I suspect. I'd like the ticket please - the "usual" Cancer Research charity is it?

Either Cancer Research or Macmillan nurses, the choice is yours. PM me your address and I will post it out :okay:.
Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 18.07.00.png

I'm trying @Brandane, I'm trying .....

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

I think I'll get myself a job as a weather forecaster. Looking good for tonight (unlike recent weather :rolleyes:); hope all participants have an enjoyable night of cycling - sorry to be missing this one now. There's always next year....

Renmurew

Veteran
Wow! What a night! I did my first ever 100 mile cycle on the Ride to the Sun event on Saturday night. The weather was brilliant with little to no wind and lovely sunny conditions through the evening. The midgies in Moffat were as hungry as the hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of cyclists passing through and stopping at the fish and chip shop for sustenance before heading up the Devil's Beef Tub climb out of Moffat. All you can see are bright red lights ahead snaking up the hill and then suddenly you hear a piper and you know you are close to the top of the climb and have reached half way. What follows is mile upon mile upon mile of lovely downhill cycling through the dark that takes you back towards Edinburgh. There was a welcome stop at a derelict pub around 60 miles in for a rave. My first ever and definitely a highlight of the night. The whole event has an amazing buzz and is so relaxed and fun. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is thinking of doing it next year. Cycling through the night was really fun and much more exciting than I expected. Just make sure you have great lights, spare batteries and reflective clothing. The roads were really quiet and this allowed everyone to relax and enjoy the ride. I said on Sunday morning that I was happy to have proved to myself that I could do this and never needed to cycle 100 miles again, but I am already thinking how much fun this would be again for next year :-)

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am assuming this ride is cancelled for 2020?

Edit to add - Official cancellation e-mail received today 11/6/2020. Organisers say it WILL be back for 2021 :okay:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom