Ride tracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

I am looking at getting suggestions what people use to track there rides, I was thinking of a bike computer but speaking to the sale chap he suggested Strava and my mobile phone is a good option...

What are your more experienced thoughts and recommendations?

Stuart

vickster

Legendary Member
Mobile phone and Strava if you don't want to buy something like a garmin or wahoo. If phone, you'll probably need a back up battery pack of planning to ride all day

vickster

Legendary Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Osmand and my little Sony Xperia Tipo battery lasts the day tracking and navigating. Started about 7am today with 70% charge, finished 7pm at 14% charge.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi

I am looking at getting suggestions what people use to track there rides, I was thinking of a bike computer but speaking to the sale chap he suggested Strava and my mobile phone is a good option...

What are your more experienced thoughts and recommendations?

Stuart

As said if you’re on rides of 1-2 perhaps 3 hours your phone and Strava app are a good option. My iPhone is six years old and the battery life is no great so I prefer to keep the phone for emergencies.

I have a Garmin 810 which will obviously navigate and record rides plus a host of other functions. The device is quite old and the drain on the battery when navigating alone is heavy, 6.5 hours, if I record as well it’s less. I’ve always felt battery life on Garmins is poor.

I now use a Garmin Vivoactive HR Smartwatch which gives at least 9-10 hours recording time. Make sure you get the GPS version!!

I’m considering buying a Wahoo. Everyone I know who has one speaks very highly of them.

bpsmith

Veteran
DC Rainmaker is renowned for thoroughly testing devices. He has debunked the 17 hour battery claim and reckons its more like 8-9 hours.

Compare that brand new device to your aging Garmin 810 battery life of 6.5 hours and it would appear to not be particularly superior in comparison @PaulSB?

I am sure that the Wahoo is great kit, but personally can’t see how it is any better than the current Garmin options.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Having owned Garmin and Wahoo, I have got to say Garmin’s software was a major let down. I’m not really bothered by the device itself. It has just got to work and sadly Garmin was utterly unreliable. Their help desk was left wanting too. I can’t afford to lose navigation on tour, Audax rides or when I’m trying to enjoy myself.

Wahoo are constantly evolving and improving. They are working on ‘getting back on track’ when you leave a route or course I believe. For now you have to back track or use map reading skills. But if you do go off course, alarms and lights go off. I am very pleased to have jumped ship.

Top Bottom