RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2014!!!) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Covert visits to Leith Hill are the future for the next 11 months :boxing:

A wise move in my opinion, and bung in the hill to Newlands Corner, first, then do Box Hill on the same day, if you can crack them, you are sorted, cos the rest of route is easier than Easy On A Sunday Morning.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It may just be me but I don't like doing things under time pressure. Yet I would love to do the ride next year. Does anybody else fancy doing it in a genteel manner, much like you'd find on a busy Friday Night Ride? It would probably mean going for the 8 hour option and just chugging along enjoying the car-free roads.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It may just be me but I don't like doing things under time pressure. Yet I would love to do the ride next year. Does anybody else fancy doing it in a genteel manner, much like you'd find on a busy Friday Night Ride? It would probably mean going for the 8 hour option and just chugging along enjoying the car-free roads.

You can do that no probs, plenty of poeple did, you won't be alone. The difficult bit is getting in on the ballot.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

Sounds good, shifts depending.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You can do that no probs, plenty of poeple did, you won't be alone. The difficult bit is getting in on the ballot.
Yes, I know, and failing that, participation would have to be volunteering because there's no way I'm going around asking friends and family for money.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes, I know, and failing that, participation would have to be volunteering because there's no way I'm going around asking friends and family for money.

Fair enough. But don't be too put off by seeking sponsorship. My wife and I raised £3600 pounds for cancer research this year when she ran The London Marathon. Fundraising is a separate challenge altogether, but it's doable if you are willing and have the right mind set. Most of the money we raised was small donations of less than £50, we did get two large ones of £550 and £250. Plus her firm matched her fundraising so it doubled up to £7200.00. It's not easy, but you will find that most people are very kind and generous. They also think you are slightly mad running a marathon or riding a 100 miles. You only have to ask folk, they say yes or no. Simples.

zizou

Veteran
I'll be entering

I'm not particularly confident of getting a place though! If i dont get in then i won't go down the charity route ( ive done a charity event within the last couple of years and i dont want to keep going back asking for donations) but instead i might do the Berlin velothon which a bit shorter (120 km) but also closed roads and going past a few iconic sights like the Brandenburg gate.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'll be entering

I'm not particularly confident of getting a place though! If i dont get in then i won't go down the charity route ( ive done a charity event within the last couple of years and i dont want to keep going back asking for donations) but instead i might do the Berlin velothon which a bit shorter (120 km) but also closed roads and going past a few iconic sights like the Brandenburg gate.

Sounds like a nice ride, have you got a link for it?

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I'll be entering

Likesy this too! When is that then?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
http://www.garmin-velothon-berlin.de/

I've never done it before (nor do I know anyone that has done it) but Berlin is great for a weekend break and im sure the Germans will be up to the job of organising a good sportive :biggrin:

Great way to see a city. Lets hope all the European cities start doing it. I may just re do Europe on a bike in the first year of my retirement in 4 years time yahoo !

Top Bottom