RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Im now thinking about driving into London and parking up as close to the start as possible.

Does anyone know of any good (cheap) carparks or anywhere to park free (not too dodgy, as I have a fairly decent car & want it in one piece when I return)? Preferably within 5 miles.
If I drive in I could offer a lift to 2 people from Staines or anywhere nearby / on the way to the start.

Thanks for any help

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Now I know this, I shall be going that way. Just so I can say I rode through the Blackwall Tunnel. I've done Rotherhithe, so that will only leave Dartford ;-)
This was my take on it. I have a mate who lives .5 miles from QE park who was fine to put me up, then found I could ride through the Blackwall so changed plans and got a lift in from home :-) It was much more of a highpoint than it ever should have been. Although I don't get full bragging rights, those go to the people who can say they've fixed a puncture in it (there were a couple last year!).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Im now thinking about driving into London and parking up as close to the start as possible.

Does anyone know of any good (cheap) carparks or anywhere to park free (not too dodgy, as I have a fairly decent car & want it in one piece when I return)? Preferably within 5 miles.
If I drive in I could offer a lift to 2 people from Staines or anywhere nearby / on the way to the start.

Thanks for any help
As I know south better than east, I'd suggest driving in to Blackheath and parking around here it's a decent area with a reasonable amount of free on street parking (although I don't know how full it is at 06:00 on a Sunday morning, it might be full of locals who are away when I use it for work during the week) and a reasonable number of nice cars as you can't live round there and be poor. The ride down the hill will put you at the drop off point for the Blackwall (and you get to ride through the tunnel). Return journey would be back to Greenwich, through the foot tunnel and maybe up through the park, definitely the nicest climb up the hill which is probably the only thing I'd consider a negative of it all. If there's no parking available there Kidbrooke Park Road is just over Shooters Hill Rd and not much worse.

Others might have better suggestions north of the river. One thing to watch for though, the road closures start early, sticking south of the river will avoid most of them.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
There are park and rides set up for the event, though not used them myself so paid no attention to where they are. Think you have to pre book them (maybe?)??

Staying near the British Museum so that looks to be a comfortable 6-7 miles to the stadium.
You'll be fine. It's a nice flat ride and there won't be much traffic except for other riders. Just keep heading towards the sun until you see the ridiculous Anish Katoomba sculpture.

I'd be more concerned about your bike when you're not on it. Does your hotel have somewhere secure? I wouldn't leave a bike parked in bloomsbury overnight with any lock I've seen in Melbourne. In fact I'd be reluctant with EVERY lock I've seen in Melbourne :laugh:

Reactions: mjr
You'll be fine. It's a nice flat ride and there won't be much traffic except for other riders. Just keep heading towards the sun until you see the ridiculous Anish Katoomba sculpture.

I'd be more concerned about your bike when you're not on it. Does your hotel have somewhere secure? I wouldn't leave a bike parked in bloomsbury overnight with any lock I've seen in Melbourne. In fact I'd be reluctant with EVERY lock I've seen in Melbourne :laugh:

Rented an apartment so bike will (should) be secure locked in there with space to set up. No way will it ever be left in a public place. I must admit that I am a little concerned after reading stories of bikes 'disappearing' on sportive days at toilet breaks and refreshment stations. Really don't want to be carrying any extra weight on rides, i.e. bike locks

rb58

Enigma
Rented an apartment so bike will (should) be secure locked in there with space to set up. No way will it ever be left in a public place. I must admit that I am a little concerned after reading stories of bikes 'disappearing' on sportive days at toilet breaks and refreshment stations. Really don't want to be carrying any extra weight on rides, i.e. bike locks
Travelodges are good as their policy is to allow bikes in rooms, although I'm sure everyone knows that.
I always carry a cafe lock, smaller than a phone, although it's not going to stop anyone who really wants the bike, but it does make my bike a less attractive proposition than all the other unlocked bikes on an occasion like this.

Try not to worry about that. It doesn't happen that often. I'd guess there were more riders in ambulances last year than stolen bikes.

Café lock is a good idea, too.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Who else basically bent over backwards and let Premier Inn Stratford do unfathomable things to their bums?

Must say the absolute laziness inside me got the better and I booked, being so darn close to the start.

sleaver

Veteran
I stayed there last year but this year I'm in the Premier Inn near ExCell.

Unless you already know, Stratford Premier Inn is a bit of a pain to get out of. The reception isn't on the ground level so you have to go to reception, get out of the lift, check out, and get back in the lift hoping it isn't full of people with bikes going straight down.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have been allocated a place through my club, so plan on riding to the start on the morning. Had a look at road & bridge closures for Central / City and seems like I should be able to ride into town and across at Blackfriars bridge then turn right up in Clerkenwell somewhere and eventually make my way to the start. Am I correct in assuming it will be something of a a cluster F the closer I get to the start, even on a bike?

Oh yeah - another numpty Q - is it 86 miles or 100? Saw a lot of 86 milers in last year's results but it has just occured to me that it was because they cut some out due to the weather... Had told my club organiser I am shooting for 4hrs but he probably thinks I have ideas above my station if it's actually a full ton!

PK99

Legendary Member

Thanks for any help

there are plenty of official organised car parks a sensible ride from the start at a sensible prices

Top Bottom