RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, does anyone care? you'd just be riding instead of one of the thousands that don't show. You won't get a time, you don't take anything that others have paid for and if it eases your conscience donate the entry fee to charity. It's a shame the limit on riders is so low, if they had the pro's race on the saturday or scrapped altogether they could have the whole day for the 80,000 that want to ride.
It's a safety thing, they've already upped the numbers by 50% from the first year. I don't think there are that many who don't show up. Having the pros on the Saturday and Sunday helps with funding, I very much doubt entry fees cover the anywhere near the full cost of the two days. I don't think the good NIMBYs of SW London and Surrey would take too kindly to the roads for the entire route being closed for two days ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I was going to get the train into Waterloo, then ride to the start - Just checked and the earliest Train dosent get in to 8am. Looks like I will be riding an extra 30miles to get to the start line in time!
I've booked the Travelodge for a friend and myself on the Saturday night in Barking, 5 miles from the start. £90 very well spent, I very much doubt either of us would manage more than the 100 miles or getting up even earlier for the start. There is a possibility that the room may be available at cost if one of us can persuade friends in E London to put us up

Rustybucket

Veteran
I've booked the Travelodge for a friend and myself on the Saturday night in Barking, 5 miles from the start. £90 very well spent, I very much doubt either of us would manage more than the 100 miles or getting up even earlier for the start. There is a possibility that the room may be available at cost if one of us can persuade friends in E London to put us up

Yes that would be what a sensible person would do (thanks for the thought!)
However I have double booked myself and have to go to a Wedding on the Saturday, so wont be back home till late on the Saturday.

So not only will I have to cycle an extra 30 miles - I'll be very tired. Still cant wait thou!!!!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
When are you going to register? You have to do on Friday or Saturday at Excel

Are there no early trains from anywhere near Staines? Like Richmond for example (I think you can take a bike on the District line)

Good luck if you get a 6am start time (here's hoping you didn't say you'd do it really fast and get an early off to beat the crowds)

Rustybucket

Veteran
When are you going to register? You have to do on Friday or Saturday at Excel

Are there no early trains from anywhere near Staines? Like Richmond for example (I think you can take a bike on the District line)

Good luck if you get a 6am start time (here's hoping you didn't say you'd do it really fast and get an early off to beat the crowds)

ill do it after work on Friday evening.

Not sure - ill do abit more research (you could only check the train times 3 months in advance - so hopefully there might be an early train in August, doubt it thou)

Ha - I said id do it in 6 hours - so not too speedy, but will probably be an early start!

vickster

Legendary Member
ill do it after work on Friday evening.

Not sure - ill do abit more research (you could only check the train times 3 months in advance - so hopefully there might be an early train in August, doubt it thou)

Ha - I said id do it in 6 hours - so not too speedy, but will probably be an early start!
You should be ok with 6 hours (as long as you don't get hammered at the wedding), probably not the fastest group, I think we said 7 (very optimistic given my current level of crockedness) and hoping for an 8am start!

I think the new rail timetables come out in May, but they don't tend to change too much, unfortunately the first tube out of Richmond on Sunday is after 7

Get someone to drive you to London? Or drive and park somewhere?

I'd allow 15-20 minutes when you get to the stadium, the start points are spread out and the riding round and round to get to the right spot took me by surprise (I'd not done a sportive before, this may be normal for all I know.) It did feel like my start point was a long way round though (I was green I think, could have been yellow) I passed a lot of 'this colour start point here' markers before I got to mine.

I wasn't that happy with the approach either, I came in from the O2 (through the Blackwall tunnel) and the signposted route in on the other side took you through some pretty tight roads which were already completely blocked by cars, lorries and buses trying to get around the closures. I felt quite lucky that I commute through this stuff regularly because it wasn't the nicest of traffic and threading through on a cycle while the majority of the drivers were already pissed off at cycles for closing the roads in the first place wasn't the best. I didn't time it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took me 30+ minutes to do the last 3 or 4 miles in and up to my staging area so I wouldn't leave things tight. I was aiming for my gate opening time and ended up caught short by a loo break as things moved on while I was in the portaloo, time was so tight. Then again people were mixing it up with start times a bit, so I wouldn't give up if you find yourself running a bit behind time because of traffic, punctures, whatever.

Thanks for this, I'll be sure to allow plenty of time and then some. Arriving late plays with my head, I need to be organised! Staying near the British Museum so that looks to be a comfortable 6-7 miles to the stadium. Done sportive events before though not in the UK but always found organisation to be very good considering the numbers. Actually coming from down under to do this and a couple more (Tour O' the Borders, Action York 100) while over on holiday. That will no doubt wind up some on here that missed out in the ballot but as with most of these high profile events they do hold a number of places for international entries which are never taken up as quickly as domestic applications.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Why not volunteer to marshall. I did it last year in Leatherhead (luckily the rain had stopped by then). You could apply to do in RP/Wimbledon

Looks like I have a fair chance of getting a place in one of our club's 'teams'. Just need Ride London to update their page about deadline dates for registration now...

vickster

Legendary Member
You could phone them, they have a full time team

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
People from our club have already been on the case and it's a bit awkward to phone from the office. TBH I would have expected them to have updated their website if they have full staffing. The Coordinator from the club has been trying to contact them but getting no response.

Top Bottom