RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
If some idiots want to be Strava louts,
Am I an idiot and Strava lout then because I said I set a PB on Wimbledon Hill then?

I'm talking bout giving courtesy to other riders.
That works both ways though and slower riders should give courtesy to faster riders. Faster riders were warning slower riders they were passing on the right on much wider roads coming out of London as well. So if they didn't have room to pass on the right on wide roads, does that not say something. Or, they were just warning riders of their presence to that less experienced riders didn't weave across the road causing an accident.

If you are going to be frightened by other cyclists riding close then doing an event which features some some fairly narrow roads and 25000+ entrants isnt perhaps the best of ideas.
^ This

When you enter, you know it is a mass participation event and you know what you are and aren't comfortable with. No one should feel that they shouldn't be welcomed in the event so it is just a case of accommodating everyone. If you expect that everyone should ride to how you are comfortable, then that isn't going to happen.

For those saying about the close passes, do you really think that the other rider will have done it if they didn't consider it safe considering they could have come off worse?

If I created a thread in a more public area of the forums where more club riders are likely to see it, I wonder if those who have been critical in here will be willing to tar everyone with the same brush in that thread. Actually, I may do that at lunch so that this thread can get back on topic rather than a general discussion on how people should ride sportives.

sleaver

Veteran
Don't suppose anyone got any video of an Asthma UK rider on an Enigma being taken out in Dorking @ the 65 mile point just before 1200?
It wasn't your accident, but I read a post on Facebook from someone trying to do a similar thing in finding someone.

There was someone receiving medical treatment about 50 meters from Trafalgar Square in the morning and the times match as the start time she gave was just before mine. She posted on Facebook that a drunk youth had decided to start causing trouble and when people asked why he was doing it he said "Because I can". He then nocked this person off her bike landing her in hospital for 7 hours with one front tooth missing and the other chipped along with facial injuries. She also said her helmet to its job by the state it was in so it probably could have been a lot worse.

Of course, this drunk youth decided that running away was the grown up thing to do and although people chased him, he wasn't caught.

PK99

Legendary Member
Good point zizou. If the chap who took me out, from behind and at high speed, had stopped to apologise for HIS mistake, I might not be so cross. I was taught many years ago that the overtaker, not overtakee, was responsible for avoiding contact (I am willing to be corrected by the group). And yes, I used to race as a young man, do ride a lot in groups and am not intimidated by bikes close up. I apolgise for typos, I'm still in hospital, in pain and minus (broken) glasses using a tiny smartphone screen. Don't suppose anyone got any video of an Asthma UK rider on an Enigma being taken out in Dorking @ the 65 mile point just before 1200? I might be able to get a number of the chap who took me out and get a contribution to a titanium repair; I can get fixed on the NHS, the bike can't! Well done to all who made it, yes the scenary and weather were lovely and only one out of 25k tried to kill me!

Ooch! Sympathies!

Slaav

Guru
Well my take on the day was as follows:

Last year, the starting pens were better I thought; you could enter and leave pretty much at will and we managed to sneak one rider into our pen so that three of us rode together. This year, I was marshalled into a pen (bottle neck/dead end with no way out) only to find that I was effectively in a mixed pen of K, M and N. My 7.21 (ish) start meant several of us had arranged to meet out on the course depending on actual starts.

I left at 08.39 or so! Bl00dy infuriating and meant I absolutely hoofed it to try and catch several others. Went off too keen and was suffering at Hampton Court where I did manage to catch one and then met another at Pyrford. Never met up with my old Scrum Half who cycles at my pace! Aaarrrggghhhhh.

Oh well; a great and epic day!

On general cycling and etiquette, I would liken it to skiing busy slopes. Generally speaking (and also in novice motor racing where the novice has a big clear X on his car) it is the job of the better skier/participant/driver (so I would say rider) to avoid the beginner/lesser talented participant? If you are overtaking when skiing on narrow pistes, the overtaker puts him/herself at risk by going OUTSIDE (i.e. at the edge) and it always remains his/her responsibility to ensure a safe pass. If the beginner wobbles or doesn't turn as expected, tough - my fault! Simple.

I saw some absolutely shocking riding and also some brilliantly disciplined riding from all standards. Unfortunately the 'should know better' crowd were the worst culprits. I was almost taken out on several occasions with stupidly close passes (one girl made slight contact) on my left where there was simply no room. The girl pass was on a bl00dy wide road and there were a good ten yards right of me that were empty. That warranted a shout!

I was lucky that although a massive big lump (18st), I seemed to manage Box and Wimbledon quite easily and actually overtook many cyclists that looked more the part than I do :smile:. Many wobbles from suffering cyclists and especially absolute beginners on hills but it was my role to avoid them and not their fault if their lungs were coming out of their ears and failing to hold the perfect straight line at 90 rpm....

And don't get me on the 4rses in a chain gang shouting 'RIGHT' several times when the bl00dy narrow road was chock full of people getting up and many at reasonable pace on the right. The people on the far right who were being shouted at were good riders and not hanging around but no, they were not quick enough for the to55ers in the mini peleton that ended up with the bolshy lead rider snagging himself on the thorns/bushes on the right verge. It is very rare I wish something bad to happen to anyone but I did wish the git had completely snagged himself and ripped his shirt to bits; would have been justified and Karma! (I know that makes me a bad person)

On several occasions, I slowed as it was difficult to pass slower cyclists without A) being a dick and B) swerving straight into the path of faster riders. Common courtesy is all that is really required surely?

I did on two occasions cause others issues; and a huge apology was immediate and no harm done as I simply made an error. Not when downhilling or rounding a bend etc just replacing water bottle and having a wobble etc. Apologies met with acknowledgments and smiles :smile:

Lastly, why don't people corner properly? I am at best still a beginner/plodder who is there for the experience but why do people on wide bends not simply ride around the corner? Too many (including some club riders in kit) would cycle to the bend, turn and then cycle away from the bend. How difficult is it to simple ride around the bend taking a decent line? And don't get me on braking to a virtual stop on downhills because you cannot quite see around the whole corner???? Do you have any idea how much effort it takes me to get up that frigging hill in the first place??? I don't want to waste an ounce of that energy on my brakes going down :smile:

All said and done, a brilliant day and would heartily recommend it to anybody and everybody!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I hit 190 achievements of one kind or another, though none of them up the hills (as I expected) with the numbers.

Which on that subject, they need to reign in or the event will become another London To Brighton Ride 'n Hike. Or change the route dramatically.

5hrs 42 mins riding time, 6hrs 12mins 59s official time. Misjudged HUB 1 with it being in a silly field instead of the Court like last time, cost 13 mins on its own just for water refill and man business... Did it again at the water stop prior to Leith Hill another 7 minutes dropped.

Ach I'll do it one year! :sad:

Apart from the tragic instance on Leith Hill, and a few grazes apparent on a girl getting treatment on a bridge (can't remember which one) didn't see any other instances. Those overtaking me gave me good warning, those I overtook moved quickly enough when politely told I was coming on right.

Enjoyable and sunny day, maybe a tad warm for my arctic tastes, but enjoyed it despite the extended numbers, and poor Mr Green.

sleaver

Veteran
Which on that subject, they need to reign in or the event will become another London To Brighton Ride 'n Hike. Or change the route dramatically.
+1 on that one.

I've never done L2B but I have heard that if you don't get an early start, you will be walking the hill up past Nutfield church weather you like it or not due to the numbers.

London isn't the problem, it is the Surrey "lanes" and I think I said a few pages back that if they do increase the numbers again, Leigh Hill can't be kept in. I was there before the unfortunate event and I ended up pretty much riding on the right hand side to a point where you could get 1, at a push two riders past me on the right, just so that I could keep moving. It ended up being my second slowest time ever up Leith Hill with the slowest being when I stopped on it, twice, the first time I ever rode it.

Due to the weather last year, they have actually had two increases in numbers before going back up Leith Hill.

I also saw on social media someone saying that he hopes it doesn't become charity driven. I don't think he was being negative about raising money for charities but at the end of the day, it is run by the same company as the London Marathon and it is supposed to be a legacy event of the Olympics to get people on their bikes. If it becomes charity driven, then it will get people on their bikes who can raise an ever increasing amount for a charity place.

For me, it was a fun day and I enjoyed it a lot (except for maybe the logistics of getting a bike into London and across to Stratford and Premier Inn bending me over backwards with their hike in prices). So I'll enter the ballot again and if I get a place, I'll happily do it but there is only a certain amount of times you can keep asking people for money.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Perhaps part of the answer is to do what they do in the Marathon and have multiple starts - there's a start for the fast boys and girls and start for the rest of us. Given the dual carriageway down to the Highway the logistics of the start would be fairly easy. Make it clear that there's one ballot for the speed merchants and one ballot for the humans.

On the detour up the shoulder of Leith Hill there were plenty of people riding all the way - even though the detour was considerably narrower than the main Leith Hill road and the riders around me were almost entirely charity places. OK, some of them might have lost a minute or two on their best time, but really in 100 miles that's not a problem I'm going to get worked up about.

U

User33236

I'll happily do it but there is only a certain amount of times you can keep asking people for money.
Agree on that one. Having done quite a number of 100+ mile rides, many just for the just for the fun of it, I wouldn't want to be raising for charity unless I was doing something more challenging.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
+1 on that one.

I've never done L2B but I have heard that if you don't get an early start, you will be walking the hill up past Nutfield church weather you like it or not due to the numbers.

London isn't the problem, it is the Surrey "lanes" and I think I said a few pages back that if they do increase the numbers again, Leigh Hill can't be kept in. I was there before the unfortunate event and I ended up pretty much riding on the right hand side to a point where you could get 1, at a push two riders past me on the right, just so that I could keep moving. It ended up being my second slowest time ever up Leith Hill with the slowest being when I stopped on it, twice, the first time I ever rode it.

Due to the weather last year, they have actually had two increases in numbers before going back up Leith Hill.

I also saw on social media someone saying that he hopes it doesn't become charity driven. I don't think he was being negative about raising money for charities but at the end of the day, it is run by the same company as the London Marathon and it is supposed to be a legacy event of the Olympics to get people on their bikes. If it becomes charity driven, then it will get people on their bikes who can raise an ever increasing amount for a charity place.

For me, it was a fun day and I enjoyed it a lot (except for maybe the logistics of getting a bike into London and across to Stratford and Premier Inn bending me over backwards with their hike in prices). So I'll enter the ballot again and if I get a place, I'll happily do it but there is only a certain amount of times you can keep asking people for money.

I've done the L2B and it was walking pace through to just beyond Carshalton, then a complete stop at the base of another hill with a 40 minute walk to the junction at the other side, then the rest was a mixture of cycling parts and walking. Beacon was almost impossible to get up with the numbers walking all across the road.

I didn't mind it for L2B as it felt more like a pure charity event, and I really enjoyed it all.

But for me RideLondon should be there for everyone, the charity riders and those that want a challenge of distance and time and I think when your stood for a while, or walking (not because of tragic circumstances, but rather sheer numbers going up bottlenecked roads) it ditracts from the event, rather than adds to it like L2B. They are very different events and if they become alike, RL has lost the appeal of closed roads for me.

27k was too many, or like you said, they need to rethink the route.

I wished I'd known about you staying at the exorbitantly priced Premier Inn, would have contacted you to join us for our pasta meal in the evening!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Perhaps part of the answer is to do what they do in the Marathon and have multiple starts - there's a start for the fast boys and girls and start for the rest of us. Given the dual carriageway down to the Highway the logistics of the start would be fairly easy. Make it clear that there's one ballot for the speed merchants and one ballot for the humans.
I presumed there would have been something like that. Are you asked for an expected finishing time when you enter so that they can put you in the correct start gate, or is it all a bit random?

rvw

Guru
As someone who works for a charity, I hope there continue to be plenty of non-charity ballot places. I think that what happens with the Marathon, where runners sign up for a charity just to get a place, and who have no interest in their "chosen" charity, doesn't do charities any favours. Those people aren't going to be their best fundraisers as it's hard to drum up support for a cause you aren't really committed to. And they are potentially keeping out people who would be great fundraisers.

And after all, there's nothing to stop ballot-place riders fundraising if they want to, for the cause they really want to support.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I presumed there would have been something like that. Are you asked for an expected finishing time when you enter so that they can put you in the correct start gate, or is it all a bit random?

They do Mo but they have some chaos theory formula to spread the times out thru the day apparently, so it eases congestion. Or something like that.

Top Bottom