RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All irrelevant. The RideLondon photos are outdoors, and have huge depth of field.

(thanks @Simontm )

RLDG10145.jpe

(43 photos! that's twice what @vickster got)

sleaver

Veteran
^^ Isn't that blurring just a tighter depth of field? Not the woooosh effect I was hoping for.
Thats why I said bokeh, the technical term for "blurring" ;)

......because of the risk of not getting a photo at all.
Thats why I normally choose to freeze motion plus, its not "all that".

All irrelevant. The RideLondon photos are outdoors, and have huge depth of field.
God damn it, I thought I was riding around indoors for over 6 hours on Sunday, I'm glad someone pointed that out for me :banghead:

Indoors or outdoors isn't different in the grand scheme of things when it comes to aperture, exposure and ISO so I have no idea why you need to say "All irrelevant". You just have to deal with a different light. Oh, and the riders would have been slower on Sunday and therefore easier.

If you want outdoors and some "swooshing" when the World (only National at the time) TT champion is going past, how about this:

10608321_10153179265259348_6528323257592540831_o.jpg

You showed a series of photos where the photographers were aiming for a small DoF in lower light. I have no idea why you were showing that. The RL photographers have more light and a completely different aim - they want as many riders as possible to be recognisable in a frame, rather than isolate a single rider from the background.

But on a bigger scale, i don't know what your problem is. It seems to be disagreeing with me (and others) for the sake of it.

I'll assume small dick, if that's ok.

sleaver

Veteran
You showed a series of photos where the photographers were aiming for a small DoF in lower light. I have no idea why you were showing that.
We were talking about "movement" and indoors/outdoor or light/low light the techniques are the same when it comes to capturing movement and if you take them in context with what I was saying then they were relevant.

Interesting that there were different photographers involved in all three though :whistle: ;)

Last edited:

rvw

Guru
As a tandem stoker, my number doesn't appear to have any photos at all. And at least one of ours looks as if @srw is by himself on the bike!

sleaver

Veteran
You do look like your starting to fall to your left :smile:

(Before some bright spark says it, I know that section of road is on the tilt anyway)

Simontm

Veteran
You do look like your starting to fall to your left :smile:

(Before some bright spark says it, I know that section of road is on the tilt anyway)
The next picture is me looking at the guy on the left (my right) as he overtakes thinking "Bugger I thought 6 mph was fast enough" ^_^

ianmac62

Guru
Hi, @srw and @rvw - I spoke to all the tandemistas I saw but unfortunately - even though my start was at 0842 - I didn't see you! I was riding a Bianchi Impulse Veloce.

I was in a club team but I shouldn't think we caused problems for any other riders. The club is called "40+ CC" but might well be renamed "65+ CC"; probably at 66 I brought our average age down. We all finished within two minutes of one another at about 7h55m; no slip-streaming was involved. I don't think the lovely people I spoke to who were from Harrogate Easy Wheelers were going to cause anyone else any problems either.

I did have one conscious Strava moment when I passed under Admiralty Arch and went as fast as I could along The Mall. Strava recorded this last bit at 22mph which I was pleased about.

The scenery was lovely; the support from spectators was encouraging (there was a group of lovely ladies in wheelchairs at one point); and the volunteers were amazing!

Two of my friends here in Northampton rode to raise funds for charities; one of them raised £1,000 for a small local charity.

A grand day out!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
It is a shame they didn't get more personalised photos with a nice depth of field, but it is understandable why of course, with so many riders, and wider angled and bigger depth of field guarantees more riders captured - I'm sure we have all got photos with ourselves almost in the background of the actual photo!

It IS bloody tough getting a nicely panned shot with a moving object, it took about 2 dozen attempts for me to get even one half decent picture albeit this was about 100 metres away and the car was on a skid pan.

vDnGfLyl.jpg

Although I did start getting a little cocky by the end of the day!

ZSd4Au4l.jpg

:biggrin:

Top Bottom